Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pauline Rourke, 32, Missing 1976, Maine - Likely a Homicide Victim

glitter14 Pauline Rourke, 32, Missing 1976, Maine - Likely a Homicide Victim

Pauline Rourke

Missing since: 1976 from Fairfield

Reported missing on Dec. 15, 1976, Rourke is considered a victim of foul play. At

the time of her disappearance, Rourke was living in a mobile home with Albert P.

Cochran. Rourke was last seen by her daughter, who reported overhearing her mother

and Cochran arguing the night before she disappeared. Rourke was scheduled to be

interviewed by state police in connection with the Janet Baxter murder as a possible

witness against Cochran, who was convicted of Baxter's murder in 1998 but who denies

any knowledge of Rourke's disappearance.
    Last edited by Texaskowgirl; 01-10-2010 at 12:55 PM.

Texaskowgirl Guest

Default Re: Pauline Rourke, Missing 1976, Maine

snippet.....

DNA silent witness to Cochran's crime > Genetic evidence gaining power in court
    Bangor Daily News (ME) - Saturday, May 29, 1999
    Author: Sharon Mack Of the NEWS Staff: BANGOR DAILY NEWS (BANGOR, MAINE

Cochran Assistant Attorney General William Stokes talks about the use of DNA evidence in the murder trial and conviction of Albert Cochran after the jury delivered its verdict last Thursday in Bangor. Beside him is state police Detective Michael Mitchell, lead investigator in the Cochran Case. Honey Rourke of Bath fights back tears as she talks about the conviction of Albert Cochran. Her mother, Pauline Rourke , was living with Cochran at the time of Janet Baxter's murder and disappeared two weeks after the murder. No trace of Rourke has ever been found. Cochran is still a prime suspect in Rourke's disappearance. Robert McLeary, father of murder victim Janet Baxter, pauses, overcome by emotion, as he talks to reporters about his daughter and the conviction of Albert Cochran. (NEWS Photos by Scott Haskell)

Texaskowgirl Guest

We need this article.. Has a picture of Pauline!

Jeez, this Cochran dude, was bad news! He killed his wife and sounds like he killed his 3 kids too, besides a couple of women!

--------------------------

SUSPECT'S LOVER VANISHED IN '76 ALBERT COCHRAN IS CHARGED WITH KILLING A MAINE WOMAN, AND POLICE PLAN TO QUESTION HIM ABOUT A MISSING GIRLFRIEND.
    Portland Press Herald (ME) - Thursday, March 19, 1998
    Author: Alan Clendenning Staff Writer The Stuart News in Florida contributed to this report.

Albert P. Cochran was charged Wednesday with a 1976 murder in Norridgewock. Now Maine police want to ask Cochran about the disappearance of his girlfriend from their Fairfield home shortly after the murder.

Pauline Rourke has not been seen since.

Investigators hope to ask Cochran about Rourke after he arrives in Maine to face a murder charge stemming from the killing of Janet Baxter.

Cochran is accused of killing Baxter, a 30-year-old Oakland woman, on Nov. 23, 1976. He was charged with Baxter's murder Wednesday, after new DNA testing matched Cochran's hair to a sperm sample taken from Baxter's body.

Cochran could return to Maine as early as this week. An extradition hearing for Cochran, 61, is scheduled for this morning in Martin County Court in Stuart, Fla. Cochran will agree to be extradited to Maine at the hearing, said his court-appointed lawyer, John Hetherington.

Maine police want to talk to Cochran about another 1976 mystery. Pauline Rourke was living with Cochran at the time of the Baxter murder. And Rourke has been missing since Dec. 12, 1976.

Her daughter, Honey Rourke, then 12, came home from school that day and found that her 32-year-old mother was gone. In an interview Wednesday, Honey Rourke said Maine State Police told her they tried to question Cochran this week about Pauline Rourke 's disappearance.

Honey Rourke said Cochran told police he never knew Pauline Rourke , then he refused to discuss the matter further.

Maine State Police officials declined to say if they asked Cochran about the Rourke case. But Fairfield Police Chief Jean Pouliot said he hopes to have a detective question Cochran about Rourke.

``It's still an open case as far as we are concerned,'' said Pouliot, adding that little work has been done on the case for years.

State police spokesman Stephen McCausland declined comment Wednesday when asked if Cochran has been asked about Pauline Rourke 's disappearance.

``What somebody says or does not say when they are questioned is not something we get into,'' McCausland said. Rourke's disappearance ``is still an open case, and we know for a fact he was living with her at the time,'' McCausland said.

Honey Rourke says she clearly remembers the day of her mother's disappearance - and the days that led up to it.

After Baxter's murder, Cochran was obsessed with the killing, Honey Rourke said Wednesday. The case received widespread publicity in central Maine after Baxter's body was found riddled by bullets in the trunk of a car on the banks of the Kennebec River.

Shortly after the killing, Cochran even drove Honey and Pauline Rourke 10 miles from their Fairfield trailer home to visit the Baxter crime scene in the hamlet of Norridgewock.

``He wanted us to see where this happened,'' said Rourke, who now lives in Bath. ``My mother thought this was real odd. From there on, the fighting got real bad between them. . . . Then all of a sudden, my mother disappeared.''

Pauline Rourke knew Cochran because she was a foster child who lived with Cochran and Cochran's mother in their Oakland home in the 1950s, said Joy Card of Wiscasset, Pauline Rourke 's sister.

After attending local schools, Card said, Cochran moved away and joined the Air Force.

He was living in Joliet, Ill., and working as a discount store manager when his wife, Patricia Ann Cochran, was murdered on Feb. 10, 1964.

Cochran claimed he choked his wife to death after she stabbed their three young children to death in a bathtub. Cochran denied killing the children, but police and prosecutors were skeptical because there was no blood on his wife's body.
    Still, Cochran was charged and convicted only of killing his wife, not the children. He served nine years in prison in Illinois, was paroled in 1973 and moved back to Maine in 1976. Cochran got a job as a carpenter, working for his brother, Alfred, who was a building contractor.

Honey Rourke said Cochran became romantically involved with her mother soon after Cochran's return to Maine. Cochran moved into Rourke's house trailer in June 1976.

Pauline Rourke knew of Cochran's criminal conviction, but believed his version of what had happened.

``My mother thought he was someone who just went crazy after seeing that his kids had died,'' Honey Rourke said.

Pauline Rourke and Cochran argued frequently, but Honey Rourke said their fights were not violent.

After Baxter was murdered, Cochran talked incessantly about the crime and insisted that Pauline and Honey Rourke go with him to see the place where Baxter's body was found.

``Me and my mother did not want to, but he was getting angry so we went,'' Honey Rourke said.

At some point, Honey Rourke said she overheard her mother say to a relative that she was scared Cochran might have been involved in Baxter's killing.

``She was scared and she didn't know what to do,'' Honey Rourke said.

A few days later, Honey Rourke came home from middle school. Her mother wasn't there. Cochran was.

``I asked him where my mother was and he said she'd probably be home later,'' Rourke said.

But her mother never showed up. Rourke's aunt came from Vermont to care for her. Several days later, they called police and reported Pauline Rourke missing.

At the time, police officers ``felt that something had been done to my mother,'' Rourke said. They told her they collected evidence, she said, but did not tell her what it was.

Cochran stayed in Maine until about 1979 or 1980, according to family members and police. Then, he moved to Florida - he has former addresses in Fort Lauderdale and was living in Stuart when he was arrested - and got married again at some point and worked as a cabinet maker.

After she moved in with her aunt in late 1976, Rourke never spoke with Cochran again. Now, with Cochran's arrest, Rourke hopes she finds out what happened.

``I'm hoping maybe I'll get something out of this, some closure or some kind of truth,'' she said.

Alfred Cochran, who lives in Norridgewock, said he has rarely talked with his brother since Albert Cochran moved to Florida.

He said he didn't know what to make of the new charge.

``He's a brother who had a completely different lifestyle than I had,'' Alfred Cochran said during a brief telephone interview Wednesday. ``I don't know anything so I can't say anything. . . . Just about everything that should have been said has been said.''

Caption: PHOTO: 2 color
    Staff photo by Jack Milton Honey Rourke of Bath holds photos of her mother, Pauline Rourke , who disappeared in December 1976 while she was living with Albert Cochran, a convicted killer. p. 16a.
    Palm Beach Post photo Albert Cochran, in a Florida jail, has a court hearing Wednesday via a video link.
    Memo: with sidebar Cochran

Texaskowgirl Guest

Lot of info about the Baxter case here killed shortly before Pauline's disappearance.. (Cochran is the suspect in Rourke's disappearance)..

http://www.courts.state.me.us/court_...s/00me78Ac.htm

Texaskowgirl Guest

Default Re: Pauline Rourke, 32, Missing 1976, Maine - Likely a Homicide Victim

This SOB Cochran only did 9 years for killing his teen wife in 1964 and got off on a technicality of killing his 3 children, whom he was on Parole for when he killed Baxter and suspect of killing Rourke!

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...n+rourke&hl=en

glitter23 Submitted Already: Pauline Rourke, Missing Dec. 15, 1976

Default Re: Submitte Already: Pauline Rourke, Missing Dec. 15, 1976

Pauline Rourke

Missing since: 1976 from Fairfield

Reported missing on Dec. 15, 1976, Rourke is considered a victim of foul play. At

the time of her disappearance, Rourke was living in a mobile home with Albert P.

Cochran. Rourke was last seen by her daughter, who reported overhearing her mother

and Cochran arguing the night before she disappeared. Rourke was scheduled to be

interviewed by state police in connection with the Janet Baxter murder as a possible

witness against Cochran, who was convicted of Baxter's murder in 1998 but who denies

any knowledge of Rourke's disappearance.

Texaskowgirl Guest

Cool. Did you ever get the article with the picture of Pauline?

Nope. I'll have to. I just was working on changing these icons, then I will. I'm sick with the flu today, so have plenty of time to sit here and do it. BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Texaskowgirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Starless View Post
    Nope. I'll have to. I just was working on changing these icons, then I will. I'm sick with the flu today, so have plenty of time to sit here and do it. BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Ewwwww! Take care! I got both flu shots this year, so I hope I don't catch either.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast