Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Pauline Rourke, 32, Missing 1976, Maine - Likely a Homicide Victim

Default Re: Pauline Rourke, 32, Missing 1976, Maine - Likely a Homicide Victim

Bangor Daily News (ME)
    May 15, 1999
    Edition: ALL

Others implicated in Cochran case

Author: Sharon Mack Of the NEWS StaffBANGOR DAILY NEWS (BANGOR, MAINE

Dateline: BANGOR

Article Text:
    Bombshell testimony presented Friday by a former Winslow woman might have made an impression on the jurors hearing Albert P. Cochran's murder trial -- except that they never heard it.
    The woman's testimony, which implicated two other men in the murder for which Cochran is being tried, was videotaped at Penobscot County Superior Court, out of the presence of the jury, so she could return to her home in Florida. Justice Andrew Mead will rule later in the trial whether her words will be admissible as evidence for the defense.
    Cochran, 61, is on trial for killing Janet Baxter, 30, of Oakland more than 22 years ago. Semen and hair samples stored for more than two decades were tested for DNA last year and are being used in an effort to link Cochran to the victim.
    The defense team of attorneys Michaela Murphy of Skowhegan and John Pelletier of Augusta are calling the trial "an alternative suspect trial." They are accusing a group of Waterville men of killing Baxter as well as a Waterville college student.
    To bolster that theory, two women were brought under court order from Florida to testify for the defense.
    Dawnann Roberts, 41, testified Friday that in 1976, she was a 19-year-old in Waterville when she visited a garage with her girlfriend. The garage was a favorite hangout for a group of male friends who often worked on race cars. Roberts' married friend was having an affair with one of the men, Alan Pelletier.
    Roberts testified that her friend went off into a cornfield with Pelletier, and Roberts stayed behind, drinking beer with the other men. The talk turned to bragging, she said, and eventually to threats. She said one of the men, Armand Beaudreau, began talking about how he and Pelletier had killed a woman in a culvert at Colby College and another in the trunk of a car.
    Roberts said the other men in the garage kept telling Beaudreau to shut up, but he continued talking. He said another man, Perley Doyan, had paid Pelletier to kill the women because they owed him money for drugs.
    A few minutes later, when Pelletier returned to the garage, the men relayed the conversation, and Pelletier grabbed Roberts by her chest.
    "He told me to keep my mouth shut," Roberts testified, and then he threw her out the door.
    A few weeks later, when he saw her on the street, Pelletier told Roberts that "I was going to end up like the Baxter woman if I didn't shut my mouth." Roberts also testified that after Pelletier had been charged with the murder of Colby College student Kathy Murphy, found in a culvert in 1971, she was subpoenaed to testify. Before she could do so, she was grabbed off the street and beaten. "The two men told me Alan Pelletier had sent them," she said, adding that she testified twice before a grand jury.
    The woman bought a gun and moved away. "I still carry the gun today," she admitted. "I am scared to death."
    The second woman, Mary Theresa Gibney, was a bartender at the Waterville restaurant the Silent Woman in the fall of 1976 when she overheard a telephone call made by Doyan.
    "He said they had taken care of the car, mentioned scratching the VIN numbers off and then said something about where they placed the gun," testified Gibney. "He also said something about a body in the trunk."
    Doyan repeatedly said, "We got away with murder," she quoted him as saying.
    "I was scared," Gibney said. "I'm still scared today."
    In arguments before Justice Mead about the admissibility of the testimony, Murphy said, "This is an alternative-suspect case. Let the jury sort it out."
    Outside the courtroom, Murphy said she found it ridiculous that the state was objecting to testimony that would link Pelletier and Beaudreau to the Baxter killing. "Up until the fall of 1998, it was the state of Maine that thought Alan Pelletier and Armand Beaudreau had something to do with the Baxter case," the defense attorney said.
    Assistant Attorney General William Stokes, who is prosecuting the case, told Justice Mead that the defense's theory was "a bunch of innuendo, assumption, speculation and conjecture."
    Testimony in the case will resume at 9 a.m. Monday. The state is expected to rest its case Monday, and the defense team will begin presenting evidence, including DNA evidence that they said will show that Baxter's body contained a mixture of semen from more than one source.

Bangor Daily News (ME)
    May 21, 1999

Cochran guilty of 1976 murder > Judge says killer faces life sentence

Article Text:
    Julie Baxter of Portland, daughter of murder victim Janet Baxter of Oakland, who was killed 22 years ago by Albert Cochran of Fairfield, shares a moment of joy with her fiance, Matthew Bogart, after a Penobscot County jury found Cochran guilty of murder. Cochran, who also was convicted of the 1964 murder of his wife in Illinois, is expected to receive a mandatory life sentence for the Baxter murder. Cochran's mother, Edith Cochran (right photo) of Fairfield, leaves the courthouse after the 10-day trial concluded. On hearing the verdict, she said, "He didn't do it, he didn't do it." (NEWS Photos by Bob DeLong) Cochran
    The jury took only two hours and 20 minutes to return the guilty verdict after a nine-day trial that paraded more than 40 witnesses through Penobscot County Superior Court.
    Cochran faces a mandatory life sentence under a statute in place in 1976 when Baxter's murder occurred, according to Justice Andrew Mead, who presided over the trial. That sentence is based on Cochran's 1964 murder conviction in Illinois for strangling his 19-year-old wife.
    The twice-convicted murderer also confessed to police he stabbed his three young children to death, but his confession was thrown out on a technicality. He served 12 years of a 50- to 75-year prison sentence before being paroled and moving back to Maine in July 1976.
    Cochran showed no reaction to the verdict, sitting stonelike at the defense table, as he had throughout the trial. He will be sentenced on a date not yet decided in Somerset County Superior Court.
    Baxter's family, including her parents and daughter, held one another's hands, hugged and cried quietly at hearing the verdict.
    Honey Rourke, whose mother, Pauline Rourke, lived with Cochran at the time of Baxter's death and disappeared mysteriously within a month of the killing, sobbed in the arms of her aunt, Joy Card.
    Later addressing reporters, members of Baxter's family said they were delighted with the verdict. "This one's for Jan," Robert McLeary, Baxter's father, said.
    The verdict closed a lengthy trial in which the defense team of attorneys Michaela Murphy of Skowhegan and John Pelletier of Augusta launched an alternative suspect defense, accusing a "gang of thugs" from Waterville involved in drug smuggling, stolen cars and police payoffs of killing Baxter.
    Murphy and Pelletier both said they were very disappointed in the verdict and planned to appeal the jury's decision.
    "Mr. Cochran is not guilty," Pelletier said on the steps of the courthouse after the trial.
    Murphy said she will interview the jurors because an alternate juror reported earlier this week that she had a conversation with a co-worker that referred to Cochran's previous conviction.
    "We need to know if she [the juror] shared that information [with other jurors]," said Murphy.
    After the verdict, Assistant Attorney General William Stokes, who had relied extensively on DNA evidence, called the defense theory "smoke and mirrors."
    "In this atmosphere of innuendo, I just hope something stuck with the jury," the prosecutor commented. He said Cochran was a suspect in Rourke's disappearance. "I doubt this man will ever say anything [about Rourke]," he said. "I don't think this man has a conscience."
    In closing arguments Thursday afternoon, defense attorney Pelletier didn't dispute that Cochran's DNA profile was found in semen on Baxter's body, but quietly argued, "Sex is not murder. You cannot assume Albert Cochran killed her because you believe he had sex with her."
    Stokes, however, called Baxter's murder "every woman's nightmare," and said the nurse and mother of one lived her last minutes in fear and terror.
    "[Cochran] killed her because she was the only witness to what he had done to her," Stokes told the jury.
    Baxter was found shot and stuffed in the trunk of a car teetering on the bank of the Kennebec River in Norridgewock in November 1976. Less than an hour earlier, she had been abducted from the parking lot of a Waterville A&P store where she had gone to buy cold medicine, soft drinks and toilet paper.
    Stokes called the defense theory about four Waterville men speculation.
    "The defendant was at the very last place where Janet Baxter was seen alive, when she was ambushed, and in the same town where her body was found."
    "And whose sperm was inside Janet Baxter's body?" Stokes asked dramatically. "Albert Patrick Cochran's."
    The defense claimed the DNA evidence was not reliable because the state only tested three of the four semen slides created from evidence in Baxter's body.
    Cochran told police that he had been partying in the parking lot of a Waterville bar with three bearded strangers when he became frightened of their motives and fled their car in Skowhegan. He said he walked to his brother's home in nearby Norridgewock and asked for a ride to his car, which was parked at the A&P lot in Waterville.
    Referring to a surprise defense witness, Irvin Kelley, who testified Tuesday that he witnessed the Waterville gang rape Baxter and saw one of the group, Perley Doyan, shoot her twice, Stokes told the jury more than a dozen times, "You judge the credibility of that man.
    "He concocted a fictitious story and is totally unworthy of belief," the prosecutor said.
    Throughout the trial, Murphy outlined a case that began with the Baxter killing, but which soon became clear to investigators was entwined with an earlier murder of a Colby College student in 1971. She repeatedly ticked off the suspects' names: Alan Pelletier, Armand Boudreau, Galen Lessard and Doyan. "These men were involved in both cases," Murphy asserted.
    "There is obviously something very wrong in Waterville in the 1970s and early 1980s," the defense attorney said in closing arguments. "These men were not just a bunch of wild boys. They were serious, vicious wild men."
    She said the FBI also was investigating these men for drug smuggling and police payoffs involving a former Waterville police officer, Cecil Cates.
    After the verdict, Rourke said investigators had promised her they will re-interview Cochran regarding her mother's disappearance. She said that she had been afraid every day of her life since 1976.
    "Now I don't have to be afraid anymore," she said, tears streaming down her face. "I'm hoping that maybe now he'll give us some answers about my mother."

Bangor Daily News (ME)
    May 19, 1999

Witness says he saw man kill Baxter > Testimony absolves Cochran

Article Text:
    Cochran
    Irving "Skip" M. Kelley of Nebraska testified that at the time of the 1976 murder, he was acting as a drug "mule," or carrier, for the FBI as part of a sting operation. The FBI was hoping to document drug activity between Perley Doyan of Waterville and a Waterville police officer, Cecil Cates, testified Kelley.
    He said it was during a payoff for one of those drug transactions that he saw Baxter shot twice by Doyan -- not Cochran.
    The jury appeared so stunned by Kelley's testimony that several jurors sat back abruptly in their chairs, while others suddenly leaned forward.
    "I've got a picture in my mind that I'll got to my grave with," Kelley said to a hushed courtroom.
    In earlier testimony, two state police troopers said they had been pressured not to pursue Doyan and his friends as suspects in the Baxter killing. One of the troopers claimed he retired because of the investigation, and the other said he was demoted in the midst of it.
    The testimony heard by the jury of seven women and six men is intended to raise the issue of reasonable doubt.
    Cochran, 61, is accused of abducting and killing Baxter, and DNA evidence is being used by the state to try to link him to her body, which was found stuffed in the trunk of a car in Norridgewock late at night on Nov. 23, 1976.
    Throughout the trial, which today begins its eighth day, Cochran's defense team, attorneys Michaela Murphy of Skowhegan and John Pelletier of Augusta, has launched an "alternative suspect" theory.
    They are blaming a group of Waterville men -- which included Doyan -- for the killing and are producing witnesses who support that theory.
    Kelley, appearing much older than his 58 years and casually dressed in black jeans and a plaid flannel shirt, said he has been hiding out since the killing, afraid for his life.
    Doyan died three weeks ago on April 25 in Skowhegan, and Kelley agreed to testify the next day.
    Under questioning by Murphy, Kelley said he knew the victim, Baxter, when he lived in Oakland, and that shortly before the killing, she had asked him for a loan, saying she owed Doyan $3,500.
    While living in Pittsfield and working with the FBI, Kelley said he had returned from a drug run to Fort Lauderdale, Fla., on the morning Baxter died and had gone to a garage in Waterville to receive $20,000 in payment.
    He waited around all day, Kelley testified, until late in the evening, when Doyan ordered two men, Armand Boudreau and Galen Lessard to "go do what you have to do," and the two men left. Another man, Alan Pelletier, arrived with a satchel of money, said Kelley, and Kelley and Doyan went into a little office off the main garage floor to count the money.
    "Then the bay door opened, and a light blue Chevelle with Armand Boudreau driving came in. Janet Baxter was in the passenger seat," Kelley said. That car was followed by another car, a cream colored Ford.
    Kelley said he looked out through a cubby hole in the office wall when he heard the men laughing.
    "They were having sex with Janet Baxter in the back seat," he said. "One would have sex, then step back, and another would go." He testified that Boudreau went first, Pelletier second and that Lessard had unzipped his pants to go next.
    "We were counting the money, and Doyan stopped and pulled up his shirt, and I saw a gun. He said, `I'll put a stop to this s---,' and he went out waving the gun," Kelley said.
    Doyan forced all the men to line up against the wall, some of them with their pants still down around their ankles, and he pulled Baxter out of the car by her feet.
    "Part of her body was on the floor, and her head and arms were in the car, with her arms over her head," Kelley recalled. "He fired two shots. It sounded like a small caliber. It sounded like snap, snap."
    Baxter's daughter fled the courtroom in tears at the testimony.
    At the prosecutor's table, Assistant Attorney General William Stokes sat with his hands in front of his mouth, looking at Kelley. Defense attorney Murphy said later that her witness hadn't been contacted by the prosecution about his testimony.
    Kelley continued, "I looked down, and there she was with two bullet holes. She was bleeding pretty bad. She had nothing on below the waist but a pair of white socks."
    After shooting Baxter, Doyan turned to the men against the wall and said, "Let that show the rest of you bastards, that's what you get when you mess with Perley Doyan," Kelley testified.
    "I figured I was next, and I grabbed the money and out the door I was gone," he said.
    Within days, Kelley had fled Maine, first to Virginia and then to North Carolina, and then eventually to Florida. He now lives in Nebraska.
    Before he left, however, Kelley said he tried to tell his FBI contact that he had witnessed a homicide. "He told me that was a local affair and that he was only interested in the dirty cop," Kelley said.
    Under cross-examination, Stokes tried to discredit Kelley, raising the fact that Kelley had told a different story to an FBI agent in 1981. "You're pretty good at making up stories," Stokes challenged.
    Kelley said the story was "made up to protect myself."
    The prosecutor then asked Kelley, with a disbelieving tone, "A woman was getting gang-raped and you were counting your money?"
    Kelley maintained that he had nothing to gain by coming forward.
    "I wouldn't have told this story today if the defense team hadn't found me," he said. "I waited 22 and a half years for someone to listen."
    After the jury had been dismissed for the day, Stokes told presiding Justice Andrew Mead, during discussions on evidence admissibility, that "certainly the DNA evidence contradicts what Mr. Kelley has said."
    "The evidence clearly shows that [Cochran's] sperm is inside Janet Baxter the night she is killed," Stokes pointed out.
    The defense, however, maintains that there were two sets of examination slides created with semen taken from Baxter's body during the autopsy, and only one set was tested for DNA, therefore not ruling out the possibility of multiple semen donors.
    Outside the courtroom, when asked about how Cochran's semen got into Baxter, Murphy wouldn't comment.
    The defense is expected to wrap up its case this morning, and Stokes' rebuttal should be complete by afternoon. The case should go to the jury by Thursday.

Maine Sunday Telegram (Portland, ME)
    September 21, 2003
    Edition: FINAL
    Section: Maine & New England
    Page: 1B

Topics:
    Index Terms:
    Murder

Old murder hovers about like a specter

Author: Bill Nemitz staff columnist

Dateline: WATERVILLE

Article Text:

He sat in the rocking chair on his front porch Friday, away from the electric atmosphere of an evolving homicide investigation. He's been there. He's done that. And even now, 16 years after he retired as a detective for the Waterville Police Department, Norman Quirion cannot forget. "Everybody keeps saying this is Kathy Murphy all over again," Quirion said. "I say no, it isn't. It's a different person. It's a different case." Kathy Murphy was the Colby College freshman found murdered on the edge of the Mayflower Hill campus 32 years ago this November. Dawn Rossignol is the Colby College senior found murdered less than a mile from the campus on Wednesday. Which, for many in Waterville, raised a troubling question last week: Is history repeating itself? To this day, the Murphy case remains officially unsolved - an investigative and prosecutorial disaster that for years left this city awash in rumors of shoddy police work, inter-agency squabbling and even outright police corruption. A murder charge was finally brought in 1986 against Alan Pelletier, then of Winslow and now of New Hampshire, but he was acquitted after a lengthy trial marred by missing evidence and faulty memories. The murder of Kathy Murphy receded, like a bad dream, into the city's subconsciousness. Now it's back, tethered by time to another out-of-nowhere tragedy. Dawn Rossignol left her dormitory around 7:20 a.m. Tuesday for a doctor's appointment in her hometown of Medway. The next day, searchers found her body near her car, parked by the Messalonskee Stream, just west of the campus. Quirion is right, of course. These are two very different cases. Back then, Murphy's death - treated at first as a hit-and-run accident only to mushroom belatedly into a murder probe - attracted only a few front-page stories in the local newspaper. Now, Rossignol's murder attracts a daily thicket of satellite trucks, cameras and microphones ready to beam every police utterance instantly all over Maine and beyond. Back then, the college did the best it could to keep students in the loop. "I remember going around campus putting up posters," recalled Earl Smith, who retired last year as dean of students. Now, there's e-mail. "I could count them up, but I'll bet there have been a dozen official e-mails from the school or authorities to the general college community in a 36-hour period," said Steve Collins, who was a sophomore at Colby when Murphy was killed and now works as the college's communications director. Back then, there was a murder scene that wasn't secured until a full 24 hours after Murphy's body was found. Now, there's a huge area that's been combed by 53 cadets from the Maine Criminal Justice Academy and sniffed by dogs from the Maine Warden Service. Now there's DNA. Still, there's one haunting similarity: Whoever killed Kathy Murphy remains free. So does whoever killed Dawn Rossignol. Quirion, who inherited the Murphy case a few years after her death and spent the rest of his career working on it, believes to this day that she was killed by three men - he knows their names - who accidentally hit her with a pick-up truck. Rather than help her and face possible arrest, he says, they dragged her down into a ravine and killed her. He also believes that, if not for the infighting that eventually torched the entire case, Murphy's killers would be in prison today. Friday morning, Quirion picked up the Central Maine Morning Sentinel and saw Kathy Murphy's face, all these years later, back on the front page. Deep in the story, then-Assistant Attorney General Pasquale "Pat" Perrino was quoted as saying, "That case was botched right from Day 1. Pretty much at the time it was by the Waterville P.D." "He doesn't know what the hell he's talking about," Quirion muttered, staring out his porch window. Later, at the daily press briefing on the Rossignol case, Waterville Police Chief John Morris shook his head at the mere mention of Kathy Murphy. That case was "long before my time," he said, and while a few veterans at the station had mentioned it, it was old history. Looking around at the phalanx of state and local investigators, Morris added, "This case couldn't be better organized." Let's hope so. Columnist Bill Nemitz can be contacted at 791-6323 or at: bnemitz@pressherald.com

Bangor Daily News (ME)
    May 18, 1999

Alternative suspect denies role in Baxter slaying

Article Text:
    Galen Lessard, 50, lives quietly in the mountains of Arizona and works in a Nevada casino. A single parent, he is raising a 9-year-old daughter.
    "I have a good life out here," he said this weekend. "A peaceful life."
    But every so often, ghosts from Lessard's past come calling.
    This week, the ghosts surfaced at Albert P. Cochran's murder trial in Bangor. Cochran is accused of abducting, raping and shooting to death Janet Baxter, 30, of Oakland in November 1976 -- more than 22 years ago. DNA evidence is being used to try to link Cochran to Baxter's body.
    Throughout last week's testimony, prosecution and defense witnesses referred to a suspicious yellow Volkswagen, seen at the site where Baxter's body was discovered.
    In the fall of 1976, Galen Lessard owned a yellow Volkswagen.
    Lessard, who was living in Oakland at the time, is one of several men at whom the defense team in Cochran's murder trial has been pointing fingers. The strategy is what is known as "an alternative suspect" strategy, and part of Cochran's defense is his attorneys' accusation that Lessard and several other Waterville area men are responsible for or were involved in Baxter's death.
    Lessard said that he is neither a murderer nor a conspirator.
    In a Sunday night telephone interview from his Arizona home, Lessard said he was implicated in the Baxter killing and the 1971 killing of Kathy Murphy simply because he hung around with a rough crowd. "This has dragged on for years and years," he said.
    Lessard is the first to admit that some illegal activities were taking place in the 1970s, when the group of men were all in their mid- to late-20s.
    "Some of the things we did back then we would be put in jail for," he said. "It was as right crazy as life can be.
    "But not that crazy," he said, referring to murder.
    "For 22 years, the police have been flashing our names all over the board, with no proof," Lessard said.
    Lessard said that in the 1970s he hung with a bunch of guys, all involved with auto body work and race cars.
    "We'd get together in a garage, and there would be pounds of pot, coke and lots of alcohol. We'd all get drunk and stoned and work all night on cars. The next day, we'd do it all over again."
    Some of Lessard's friends included Alan Pelletier, Armand Beaudreau, Dwight Grant and Perley Doyan -- all of whom have been named in the Cochran case as alternative suspects.
    On the night of Baxter's murder, Lessard said, "I was with Armand that night. We went to five different bars. We told the police, `Look, we're well known' and told them to go to the bars and ask around. They never did."
    Lessard said it wasn't until the next day, at another garage, that he learned of Baxter's killing. "We felt real bad. We all knew Charlie [Baxter]." Charles Baxter was the victim's ex-husband, and the couple were in the midst of an ugly divorce.
    "The day after the murder, Charlie was going to have to sell the house, a beautiful house, that he made with his own hands because she was getting half," Lessard recalled. "We all thought Charlie did it."
    Lessard said the police told him that Baxter had taken and passed five lie detector tests. "But we all took two, and they are still hounding us," he said.
    He is adamant that none of the group of men he hung around with were capable of murder. He believes he never met or knew Albert Cochran.
    Lessard said that after Baxter was killed, the police theory was that Baxter, who was a nurse, was trading prescription drugs for street drugs and that she was killed when she didn't keep her end of the bargain.
    "We all felt really bad about that," Lessard said. "From all that Charlie said, she was a really sweet woman. She wasn't dealing any drugs."
    On the night of Baxter's killing, said Lessard, his wife had the yellow Volkswagen, not he.
    "The police said it was seen in the trailer park where Janet Baxter lived, and there were two men in it. The theory was that they followed her to the store and snatched her. My wife and my daughter, in her car seat, were in that car."
    Lessard said he was subpoenaed to testify for the defense in the Cochran trial but objected and was later released from testifying.
    "Every time a new investigator got this case, they'd come calling," he said. "Every time some girl didn't come home from a date, they'd knock at our doors. I finally left the state in 1978 because of the police harassment. It has gotten to the point that I believe it will never end."

This is a photo of Pauline around the age of 20. She had been missing once before in 1965 along with her then 19-month old daughter which is something I really don't know what to think of...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Caption under photo above reads:

Kennebec Journal
    Wednesday, December 1, 1965

Missing/ Mrs. Pauline Rourke is still missing. She and her 19-months-old daughter left for a shopping trip to Augusta November 22. Mrs. Rourke and her husband, William, were staying with Mrs. Rourke's sister, Mrs. Julia Greenleaf, 17 Robinson st. Mrs. Rourke is 20 years old, five feet tall and weighs 100 pounds

Kennebec Journal
    Saturday, November 27, 1965

WOMAN, BABY ARE MISSING

Gardiner Police said Friday a general alert has been broadcast for a local woman not seen since Monday. Mrs. Pauline Rourke was reported missing by her sister, Mrs. Julia Greenleaf, 17 Robinson St., with whom she had been living in recent weeks.

Mrs. Greenleaf told police her sister and Pauline's 19-months-old daughter had not returned from a Monday shopping trip to Augusta.

The Gardiner woman said Mrs. Rourke had lived in Boston prior to returning to Gardiner. Mrs. Rourke's husband, William, had left for Boston to look for her there, Mrs. Greenleaf said.

Mrs. Rourke is 20 years old, five feet tall and weighs 100 pounds. She has blue eyes and blonde hair and when she left Monday was wearing blue slacks, police said.

She was operating a 1956 blue station wagonwith Maine registration 384-470, authorities reported

Could Swan Jane Doe be Pauline Rourke ??

Look at that shirt, it would be strange if she had it all those years later but that collar bugs me:

http://doenetwork.org/cases/720ufma.html

Default Re: Submitte Already: Pauline Rourke, Missing Dec. 15, 1976

WATERVILLE, Maine (AP) Maine police say a convicted killer who died this week likely killed his girlfriend more than 40 years ago, and they're asking the public to help find her body.

Albert Cochran died Tuesday. The 79-year-old was sentenced in 1999 to life in prison for the 1976 murder of Janet Baxter.

Cochran's girlfriend, Pauline Rourke, disappeared two weeks after Baxter's death.

Cold case investigators told the Morning Sentinel (http://bit.ly/2t4MmzL ) on Wednesday that Cochran said Rourke's body is in a well near Smithfield, but he did not admit killing her.

He said the well was lined with slate on top. Anyone who recognizes the description is asked to call police.

Cochran had previously served time for murdering his wife and was charged but not convicted of killing their three children.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...-disappearance

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345