Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Richard Roberts, 51, Missing 2/1/1995 - Mayor of Hayden, CO

Default Re: Information on Richard Roberts

stateflag ARTICLES ABOUT RICHARD ROBERTS

Yampa Valley Newspapers
    Thursday, March 9, 1995

SEARCH CONTINUES IN GRAND CCOUNTY, UTAH
    FOR HAYDEN MAYOR

Grand County, Utah law enforcement officials are searching the area where Hayden Mayor Richard "Dick Roberts" vehicle was found, approximately one quarter of a mile from the Colorado border.

According to Hayden Police Chief Jody Lenahan, Grand County Sheriff's department officials are using horses and some four wheel vehicles in their search of the area where Robert's vehicle was found. The search began early Monday morning, March 6, 1995.

"We called to see if they needed help and they said no, not at this time," Chief Lenahan explained. He added "I'm confident of the ability of the Grand County Sheriff's Department to handle the situation. If they need any help, we'll be glad to help," Chief Lenahan added.

According to Lenahan, after Roberts' pickup was found, Hayden police officers Bill Powers and Gordon Booco were headed to Utah to help in the search last week, but were advised to turn back because weather conditions made the road impassible.

So far foul play is not suspected according to Chief Lenahan.

On Monday, February 27, Mayor Richard Roberts' pickup truck was located by a farmer, 200 yards off a county road, in a thicket, in the Grand County, Utah area, one quarter mile from the Colorado state line. Richard Roberts was not with the pickup.

Due to road conditions, Grand County Sheriff's Officers were unable to respond to the location until Tuesday the 28th, at which time the vehicle was impounded.

Search of the areas was to continue, with assistance from the Hayden Police Department, on Wednesday, March 1, but due to weather conditions making the roads impassible had to be canceled.

Civil Air Patrol, horses and four wheel drive vehicles were to be utilized when the search was to resume, weather permitting. That search was not able to happen until Monday, March 6.
    Last edited by Starless; 10-18-2014 at 10:16 PM.

Default Re: ARTICLES ABOUT RICHARD ROBERTS

Yampa Valley Newspaper
    Thursday, February 16, 1995

HAYDEN MAYOR MISSING?

LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS
    SEARCHING FOR MAYOR
    LAST SEEN FEB. 1

Routt and Moffat County law enforcement officials are searching for Hayden town mayor, Richard Dean "Dick Roberts" who has been officially listed as a missing person, Hayden Chief of Police, Jody Lenahan said.

Local police officials are following their latest lead that Roberts might have been checking oil rigs and possibly gone off the road.

According to Hayden town secretary Lisa Johnston, no foul play is suspected at this time. The Civil Air Patrol has been notified and they will be searching from the air when the weather clears.

Roberts was reportedly last seen 8:30 p.m., Wednesday, February 1st, when he spoke with town clerk Janet Hays, Lenahan said.

The town clerk's office reported Roberts missing Thursday, February 9th, when he hadn't checked in with the town hall, and nobody had heard from him since Feb. 1.

According to Chief Lenahan, Roberts was listed as officially missing on February 10th, when his name was entered into the national law enforcement computer as a missing person.

Police Officer Bill Powers was notified Friday by Routt County communications that Roberts' family could not find him. Powers did the paperwork and entered Roberts' name into the national law enforcement computer.

The family has been circulating a flyer with the folllowing information:

Richard Dean Roberts is described as being a 51-year-old white male, 6 feet tall, weighing 220 lbs., with red hair that is turning grey and with brown eyes.

He drives a 1991 white and grey Ford truck with the Colorado license plate number 7447WZ. The vehicle has a grey headache rack and a black tool box.

While Roberts had worked for a variety of contractors, including R. N. Robinson, he has not worked for the company for a while. It is not known who he was working for at the present time, but he had been doing a lot of work in the oil fields, bringing heavy equipment to the rigs. Roberts lived alone.

Actin on a tip, the Routt and Moffat Sheriff's Departments and Chief Lenahan are looking for his vehicle, on the chance he might have gone off the road.

stateflag Recent Article About The Missing Mayor, Richard Dean Roberts

Morning Press
    Saturday, March 13, 2010

THE MISSING MAYOR
    FEBRUARY MARKS 15 YEARS
    SINCE HAYDEN'S DICK ROBERTS
    WAS LAST SEEN

It's been 15 years since Richard "Dick" Roberts gray and white Ford pickup was found in the Utah desert near the Colorado State line, surrounded by a cluster of pinyon pines.

Roberts' wallet, car keys, and .22 caliber rifle were missing and so was the 6-foot-tall, 250 pound, red-haired man who served as Hayden's mayor for three years.

He left a half-full moldy pot of coffee at home and three daughters, who a decade and a half later, have nothing but questions. The reason for his disappearance is a mystery, even to those closest to him.

"It looked like he just stepped out the door to run an errand," said Gayle Roberts, Dick's middle daughter who now lives in Seattle.

"It was not the house of somebody who decided to go somewhere."

Roberts, 51 at the time he disappeared, was an out-of-work construction worker, a heavy smoker and suffered from seasonal depression.

He was last seen around 8:30 p.m. February 1, 1995, when he told town clerk Janet Hayes he would not be attending the Hayden Town Council's bi-monthly meeting later that week.

The town clerk's office reported Roberts missing Feb. 9. The Hayden Police Department launched it's investigation into Roberts' disappearance a few days later.

"Whatever happened to him, somebody knows," Gayle said.

Fifteen years later, Gayle still is trying to cope with the pain of her father's disappearance.

"I feel like God, or the cosmos, or whatever, has a reason that we don't get to know where he is right now," she said. "Even though this feels like the worst thing that could happen, maybe it's not, and maybe we are being protected from something."

In 2008, Dick's brother, Alan Roberts, of Meeker, submitted a blood sample to a national dna registry.

Gayle, who also submitted dna to the registry in 2008 said it was important to have Alan's dna, which matched Dick's, in case evidence or a body ever turns up. The dna could be used to identify and match the missing mayor to any remains found.

Gayle also continues to work closely with the Hayden Police Department to keep the case alive.

Hayden Police Sgt. Gordon Booco has been helping investigate the case.

"It's one of those cases you just hope for small bits of information from time to time to get you back on track," he said.

Throughout the years, the Hayden Police Department has kept the file open hoping for any evidence that would "open up a new chapter." Booco said.

"We're going to keep trying and Gayle is very persistent about it," Booco said. "I'm trying my best to help her out when I can, but time is just a bit tough to work in a full investigation with our small department."

Hayden Police have also helped put Roberts' face and case summary on playing cards distributed to correctional facilities in hopes someone might recognize him, Booco said.

"I know there is someone out there that has some information," Booco said. "People tend to forget. It is important for the case to be brought up every now and then. Hopefully, someone will be able to come forward with information."

In the meantime, the people affected by Roberts' disappearance are left to wonder.

"When somebody dies, and there is a mourning process, you have all those stages and you can get through them," Gayle said, "But when someone goes missing, you just get stopped. There is no closure."

Pam Gann, a Hayden Town Council Member who was elected the same year Roberts took office, said Roberts' disappearance has left a "big empty spot."

Gann said Roberts was a well-liked and generous man with whom she developed a friendship.

"He was so proud to be mayor," she said.

Later, the Hayden council voted to elect a mayor in his absence.

"I just wanted to cry, but we had to go on with business," Gann said.

Lisa Dowling, Hayden Town Hall secretary at the time, said she still hopes the mystery will be solved.

"I've always held out hope that he is out there somewhere, but I don't think that is the case," she said. "It is unsettling to know that we'll never know, but I'm hoping someone will be able to unearth the mystery and that will put a lot of people at ease."

Dowling also said the case is "something you think about less and less as time goes on and are less affected by."

"In the few years following it, it was tough and frustrating and something you think shouldn't be that hard to solve," she said. "I still have that feeling of frustration. It is hard for me to see how a person could just disappear from the face of the earth."

Although Gayle said her father's disappearance is hard to relive every time it's brought up, she continues to fight the uphill battle of keeping the case in the public consciousness.

"Honestly, I could just let this go and it would go out of memory and there would be nothing, ever," she said.

Like Dowling and Gann, there are Hayden residents who remember their unique mayor.

"He was a hell of a guy," said Bob Robinson, owner of R.N. Robinson and Son.

Roberts worked full time for R.N. Robinson and Son, an excavation company in Hayden, for about six years before he was elected mayor and part time after being elected.

Robinson remembers Roberts as a "good and enjoyable friend," who "just wanted to do the town a good job."

But memories and the truck, discovered by Utah rancher Jim Tomlinson, were the last and only trace Roberts left behind.

Three footprints were found near the truck but a dry winter left them indistinct. All but one set of fingerprints left in the truck were accounted for. No other evidence was found at the site.

"One theory is that he committed suicide, but obviously not where the truck was found," Gayle said. "My other feeling is that someone hurt him, someone killed him."

Dowling said she was immediately concerned after having not seen Dick for a while, but her sentiments weren't universally shared in the community.

"The thing that has always stuck in my mind about it was that nobody seemed to be overly concerned about it at first," Dowling said. "Nobody thought it was a big deal."

Gayle was under the same impression.

"Some people told us, "Oh, he just took off to Mexico or something and is down there drinking margaritas," and I had a real visceral reaction to that," she said. "It pissed me off."

She thinks such a loving father would never turn away from his family.

"My dad may have not been a perfect dad, but he was a good one," she said. "He loved his kids alot and talked with us every week and to think he is just going to take off to Mexico and never call us again? I don't think so."

Throughout the years, there have been private investigators contracted to search for any clue of Roberts but the trail was too cold, Gayle said.

Bones found in 1999 in the area around where Roberts' truck was found tantalized those invested in the case, but they turned out to be animal bones.

Shells from a .22 caliber rifle were also found, but Gayle thinks they could have been from any hunter wandering through the area.

But despite the mystery, the fifteen years without seeing his signature red hair, the constant frustration and now living states away, Gaylke still has fond memories of her father.

"The best times we had is when we got to go out and work with him," she said. "Driving out to oil well locations, getting out in the country, the middle of nowhere, driving a bulldozer, and hiking around while he was working."
    Last edited by Starless; 04-01-2010 at 08:06 PM.

Default Re: Recent Article About The Missing Mayor, Richard Dean Roberts

I'd like to thank the Hayden Library, they went above and beyond to find this information. Thanks to them, this case will stay in the spotlight from now on.

Reading this article made me wonder if the shells that were found and the animal bones that were found in 1999 were close to being in the same area. I wonder how far any area he might have been working was from where his truck was found. Just thinking out loud again.

I think either of these could potentially be matches for Richard:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/614umco.html
    http://doenetwork.org/cases/789umco.html

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4246dmco.html

Richard Dean Roberts
    Missing since February 1, 1995 from Hayden, Colorado
    Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 51 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'0"; 220-250 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Graying red hair; brown eyes. Heavy smoker.
    • Medical: Suffered from seasonal depression.
    • AKA: Dick
    • DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Hayden town mayor Richard Roberts was last seen around 20:30 on February 1, 1995, when he told a town clerk that he would not be attending the Hayden Town Council’s bi-monthly meeting later that week.
    His job as a consultant to oil companies required him to travel through several counties visiting oil-rig pads, and friends said it was not unusual for him to be gone for more than a week.
    The town clerk’s office reported Roberts missing February 9. The Hayden Police Department launched its investigation into Roberts’ disappearance a few days later.
    His gray and white Ford pickup was found in the Utah desert near the Colorado state line. Roberts’ wallet, car keys and .22-caliber rifle were missing.
    Three footprints were found near the truck but a dry winter left them indistinct. All but one set of fingerprints left in the truck were accounted for. No other evidence was found at the site.

Roberts was divorced and lived alone at the time. He has three daughters.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Hayden Police Department
    970-276-2535

Agency Case Number: 95-0182
    Source Information:
    Craig Dailypress
    Rocky Mountain News

Default Re: Richard Roberts, 51, Missing 2/1/1995 - Mayor of Hayden, CO

http://doenetwork.org/cases/4246dmco.html

Richard Dean Roberts
    Missing since February 1, 1995 from Hayden, Colorado
    Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
    • Date of Birth: January 5, 1944
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 51 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'0"; 220-250 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Graying red hair; brown eyes. Heavy smoker.
    • Medical: Suffered from seasonal depression.
    • AKA: Dick
    • DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Hayden town mayor Richard Roberts was last seen around 20:30 on February 1, 1995, when he told a town clerk that he would not be attending the Hayden Town Council’s bi-monthly meeting later that week.
    His job as a consultant to oil companies required him to travel through several counties visiting oil-rig pads, and friends said it was not unusual for him to be gone for more than a week.
    The town clerk’s office reported Roberts missing February 9. The Hayden Police Department launched its investigation into Roberts’ disappearance a few days later.
    His gray and white Ford pickup was found in the Utah desert near the Colorado state line. Roberts’ wallet, car keys and .22-caliber rifle were missing.

Roberts was divorced and lived alone at the time. He has three daughters.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Hayden Police Department
    970-276-2535

Agency Case Number: 95-0182
    Source Information:
    Craig Dailypress
    Rocky Mountain News

Default Re: Richard Roberts, 51, Missing 2/1/1995 - Mayor of Hayden, CO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12