Thread: David Warner, 12 years old, missing since March 2 1983, Jefferson City Tenn

tbear David Warner, 12 years old, missing since March 2 1983, Jefferson City Tenn

Doenetwork:

Case File 4361DMTN

David Warner
    Missing since March 2, 1983 from Jefferson City, Tennessee
    Classification: Endangered Missing

Date Of Birth: January 30, 1971
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 12 years old
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Blond hair; dark brown eyes. Slender build.
    Clothing: Blue jeans, a black and white Pittsburgh Steelers sweatshirt and tennis shoes.
    Dentals: Buck teeth.
    Medical: Epilepsy
    AKA: Little David
    Fingerprints:Available
    On March 2, 1983 David Warner planned to go to a function at a small independent church a few doors up the street from his Beeler Avenue home. David walked up to the church but didn't go in, then, he went on up the street. He went to Druther's Restaurant in Jefferson City, and got a hamburger. Later, he watched TV at a friend's house until 19.00, then told the friend he was going to his house, about 30 yards away.

The next morning his family discovered he was not at home, although his bed covers were bundled up in a way that could be viewed as a ploy to make it appear he was in bed.
    At first, police thought David had gone off with some friends, or maybe run away.
    Authorities launched a massive search, but no trace of David was ever found.
    Foul play is suspected.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Jefferson City Police Department
    J.W. Samsel
    865-475-3845

Agency Case Number: 83-08-001

The disappearance of David Warner Video:

http://www.knoxnews.com/videos/detai...-david-warner/

Default Re: David Warner, 12 years old, missing since March 2 1983, Jefferson City Tenn

Jefferson City cold case: David Warner

JEFFERSON CITY, Tenn. (WVLT) -- It's become known as Jefferson City's greatest mystery. Is David Warner dead, or alive? Almost thirty years later, there's still no answer.

"You think about him every day," says David's sister, Cathy Nash. "There's not a day that goes by that you don't think about him."

In March of 1983 David was a 12 year old fourth grader. He "got by" in school but had street smarts beyond his years. Then, he was gone. No warnings. No clues. No sense.

Investigator David Hutchison says there's only one way to describe the disappearance. "Like the twilight zone. Here one minute, then gone the next."

David's family last saw him walking down Beelor Boulevard, near Broadway in Jefferson City. It's a path he took many times while walking to convenience stores and restaurants. Investigators say David's "street smarts" and the lack of clues could indicate his disappearance was planned. If it was, Nash points to David's now deceased father as the likely culprit. "I think his natural dad had something to do with it. Because he was the type of person who like to be in the spotlight, And by him never coming to help hunt for David, I always felt he knew something." Investigators say a likely motive for David's father taking him might be the belief that he could offer his son a better life away from Jefferson City.

Investigator Hutchison says, if he's alive, the case now isn't about bringing David back home. "He's almost 40 years old now, they cant make him come home." It's more about offering his family peace of mind. And, offering an answer to Jefferson City's greatest mystery.

If you have any information into the disappearance of David Warner, you are asked to call Investigator Hutchison at 865-429-7021, extension 115.

http://www.local8now.com/home/headli...138566424.html

Default Re: David Warner, 12 years old, missing since March 2 1983, Jefferson City Tenn

I noticed in one of his pictures, he wears a necklace with buttons.
    I have no idea if he wore this when he disappeared, but it reminded me of Button Jane Doe, found in 1985 in Jellico, Tenn. http://www.officialcoldcaseinvestiga...play.php?f=503

Could this have been a similar necklace, maybe it was very common at that time, early 80's, in that area to wear such a necklace? Or was it made in class, some kind of art lesson, or could it have been prizes at a local fair or carnival? If anyone has more information about these necklaces, that seem homemade, please post, or contact Starless.

I contacted Namus, asked if Button Jane Doe could have been a boy instead of a girl, and they said: I inquired about the possible match and it can be excluded. DNA analysis confirms the skeletal remains are genetically female.

In Jellico they found 32 or 34 bones and a skull.
    On the internet it says: Sex-related skeletal features are not obvious in children's bones. Subtle differences are detectable, but they become more defined following puberty and sexual maturation.
    The skull also has features that can indicate sex, though slightly less reliably. http://anthropology.si.edu/writtenin...le_female.html
    Hmmm.

Gone in the blink of an eye.

JEFFERSON CITY - David Warner was a slender kid with buck teeth, blond hair, dark eyes and an odd mix of personality traits.

He was 12 years old and still in fourth grade at Jefferson City Elementary School. Yet he was more intelligent than suggested by the report cards that had held him back.

"He was really a pretty smart boy," said next-door neighbor Bob Mabe.

David was more streetwise than most small-town kids his age. He hung around an arcade and was a skilled pool shooter. Yet he was no troublemaker or delinquent.

"A little mischief stuff maybe, but never anything criminal," recalls David Hutchison, a former Jefferson City police chief. "Our officers knew him. He was just a good, likable boy."

"He just ran around town a lot with a little crowd of friends, not like he was prowling around," recalls Stan Shaw, who was a Jefferson City police officer when David disappeared. Shaw became a detective several years later, and re-investigated the case.

David Warner was very friendly - and perhaps too easily befriended.

He vanished March 2, 1983. His fate remains Jefferson City's greatest mystery.

"It is not the norm to not find anything, but that's what we have here," said Hutchison, an investigator with the 4th District Attorney General's office since just before the disappearance. "He was gone in the blinking of an eye, and we have zero."

n

When David was born, he was diagnosed with epilepsy. His mother was 16, unwed and unemployed. Her mother, Faye Warner, would legally adopt him. His mother, Barbara Warner Soares, remained close to him until the day he was gone.

"Not ever knowing what happened, that has just been hell," Soares said of the time and turmoil since then. "And it was hell for my mom, too."

"It drove my mom batty," said Soares' brother Paul David Warner. "But she never gave up hope that he might be alive."

"She would say, 'He's going to walk back in here some day,' " Soares said.

The family called Paul David Warner "Big David," to distinguish him from his young nephew.

In May 2007, with her family gathered around her, Faye Warner was on her death bed.

"Have you found Little David yet?" she asked.

n

The day "Little David" disappeared, he had received a rare A on his report card - for physical education. That afternoon, Bob Mabe's wife Joyce said, he planned to go to a function at a small independent church a few doors up the street from his Beeler Avenue home.

David walked up to the church. "He stopped and looked inside, but didn't go in," Joyce Mabe said. "Then, he went on up the street. I never saw him again."

He went to Druther's Restaurant in Jefferson City, and got the free hamburger the restaurant always gave to kids who made an A.

Later, he watched TV at a friend's house until 7 p.m. then told the friend he was going to his house, about 30 yards away.

The next morning, Barbara's twin sister, Addie Mae Maples, discovered the boy wasn't home. She thought he may have spent the night at the Mabes' house, as he often did.

At home, David's bed covers were bundled up in a way that could be viewed as a ploy to make it appear he was in bed. Maples said it had appeared to her the night before that he was in bed.

At first, police thought David had gone off with some friends, or maybe even run away. Soares said the family never believed that.

n

Authorities launched a massive search. The boy had last been seen wearing blue jeans, a black and white Pittsburgh Steelers sweatshirt and tennis shoes.

No trace of David was ever found.

Rumors and theories swirled around Jefferson City, along with reports that he'd been seen in various locations. One of his teachers, Isabelle Haigh, recalls some people speculating that David may have been taken because of something he saw during his restless street roaming.

Several months after the disappearance, police received a tip that he was in Miami with Ivan "Red" Wilson, a cousin to David's father Edgar Wilson. Miami police were sent a picture of David. A Florida detective said one of two boys he saw near Red Wilson's Miami address bore a strong resemblance to David.

But then bureaucratic legal entanglements between various Tennessee and Florida agencies and courts prevented further action. It took three months to resolve. In the meantime, Edgar Wilson told police he knew nothing of his son's disappearance or whereabouts. He showed police a crudely printed letter he had received.

It said "Eadger ... if your son is at your cousins in Miami you better do something now! (someone) has told them that you do."

It was signed "A unknown friend."

When Miami police went to Ivan Wilson's address, the occupants had moved. Ivan Wilson later denied any knowledge of the disappearance.

"I am satisfied that David was not in Florida with Mr. Wilson," said Hutchison, adding that the original tipster's credibility was questionable.

"I think David was lured into a car, possibly by someone he knew, and was murdered. For what reason, we don't know," Hutchison said. "I'd give almost anything to find out what did happen, just to give his family some sense of closure."

"No one ever really stood out as even a possible suspect," said Shaw, who also believes that David was likely killed. "This one has haunted me for years. To this day, sometimes, I wake up in the night, thinking about it."

David's family and the Mabes said David would talk to anybody, and he was especially willing to befriend and help adults.

"There are a lot of cruel people in this world, but David thought everybody was his friend," Paul David Warner said. "I think he could be talked into going with someone (if they tricked him) with 'Help me find my puppy' or something like that."

Soares still cries when she talks of her son. She clings to a faint hope that he is alive.

"In my head, I say 'No.' But in my heart I still hope. I hope (this story) gets on the Internet and he sees it, and will know that we are still here and want to see him again."

Anyone with information about this case can call Hutchison at 865-429-7021, extension 115; or the Jefferson City Police Department at 865-475-3845

Jim Balloch may be reached at 865-342-6315.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/ma...ink-of-an-eye/

Weird, the pictures I enclosed are gone, but I saved them, so again:

I got an email from a friend of David, who could tell more about the necklace:

He gave me a necklace he made with pony beads on it. He had made one for himself too that he wore a lot
    The necklace (from David's picture) looks like the black, white and brown pony bead necklace he made. Pony beads are plastic, cheap, colorful and found in any Walmart or similar store. He usually used leather boot laces to string them on.

The one he made me had a white leather lace with colorful and bright beads. Maybe eight or nine beads on it.It is a craft project that teaches fine motor skills, patience, design and sometimes color coordination or how to follow a pattern and directions. Not all schools in this area do that though, so I don't believe it to be a standard school project.

Find David Warner, facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

I received some more information about David from a relative:

He was on a medication for seizures that caused him to have some tooth decay.
    Some items he wore a lot was black converse tennis shoes and a Pittsburgh Steelers sweatshirt. He also had NY Jets sweatshirts. He didn't wear name-brand jeans much...if anything they were likely to be rustler or wrangler jeans. And my mother seems to think that the watch he had was his only possession as far as jewelery. He did own a light blue button up shirt with pearl like buttons. Also, there were many supposed sightings in Florida back when he first became missing but we've never gotten any solid information as far as the family. Mother told me that he was in the 4'11 to 5'2. He was tall and skinny when he went missing.
    As far as hair, it would be blonder in the summer and a little darker blonde in the winter months they recall.

There was a lady named "Loraine" that lived in a nearby housing project who once told me she believed he was murdered and that she saw "people moving what she thought was a body around the time of his disappearance" but never came forward and I am not even sure if the lady is still alive. This lady's name was run by the authorities and apparently it was a name that didn't seem to exist in the system.

Appalachian Unsolved: 12-year-old boy still missing after 34 years

JEFFERSON CITY - He was a boy who never knew a stranger.

“He was just a likeable little kid,” said Kathy Nash. “He helped neighbors carry groceries, even go to the store for them. That was David.”

But was that kindness what made David Warner a target?

“He would have thought nothing about getting in the car with a strange person,” said Nash.

His aunt Kathy Nash wonders if that’s what happened to the blonde, brown-eyed boy who vanished

34 years ago.

It was March 2, 1983. Reports show David went to what was then Druther's restaurant, now El Sazon for a late afternoon treat.

“Druther’s rewarded children if they got a good grade and could get a free meal,” explained Detective Roland Holt.

Where David went from there is unclear.

“He knew Jefferson City like the back of his hand,” said his aunt. “We know he stopped at the corner of Odell and Sycamore Lane, and that is the last known time we've seen him.”

It was barely a block away from home. He never came back.

The Jefferson City Police Department, firefighters and the rescue squad along with 200 volunteers did aerial and ground searches for two days.

“Not one piece of evidence ever found,” explained Holt. “It was like he vanished into thin air.”

Born to a young mother, David was raised by his grandparents. He saw his aunt and mother as sisters.

Through the years, the Jefferson City Police Department has followed up on small leads with no luck. But they aren't giving up.

“This case file has always remained opened and will always remain open til we find out what happened to David,” said Holt. “We know someone out there knows. There’s no question.”

David suffered from epilepsy, and deep down his aunt believes that was a factor in his disappearance.

“I honestly think because of his disease, he had a seizure and the people didn't know what to do with him,” said Nash.

n the 1980s his face covered milk cartons across the world. Today, she runs a Facebook page to keep the story alive.

“The part of not knowing has got to be harder than knowing. Please come forward. Let's put it to rest,” said Holt.

By using age progression technology, the National Missing and Unidentified Persons database has tracked how David might look

Today, he would be 46.

“There're times when you're walking through the mall and you see a man who might be,” said Nash. “You think, Could that be him and be married?"

It's a truth she's desperate to know.

“We need closure,” pleaded Nash. “I don't want to die not knowing.”

If you have any information about this case, you can contact the Jefferson City Police Department at 865-475-2002.

Video: http://www.wbir.com/news/local/appal...ears/449689954

https://www.facebook.com/FindLittleDavidWarner/