Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Australia's most notorious unsolved crimes and mysteries

  1. #1

    an6 Australia's most notorious unsolved crimes and mysteries

    http://www.news.com.au/national/sout...-1226760040391


    The Beaumont children - missing since 1966

    Much has been written about the three Beaumont children - Jane, Arnna and Grant.
    The siblings went to Glenelg Beach on January 26, 1966. The last confirmed sighting of the children was at 3pm, three hours after they were due home, walking alone on Jetty Rd. Witnesses earlier saw the children leaving the beach with a tall, blond-haired man.



    They have never been found, nor have their bodies, and the disappearance went some way to altering Australia's relaxed attitude towards child safety.
    Psychic Gerard Croiset's prediction they were buried under a warehouse was proved wrong, and letters allegedly written by Jane two years later were deemed false.
    The case has spawned many books, was linked to the infamous murderer Bevan Spencer von Einem and The Family murders, and an opera based on one of the books on the case will be produced in 2016.
    Chillingly, the 'Man' was similar in appearance to another man seen with Kirste Gordon and Joanna Ratcliffe, who disappeared from Adelaide Oval in 1973.



    The police sketch of a man wanted for questioning over the disappearance of the Beaumont children. Source: News Limited



    A witness known as Mr B claimed during the 1990 aborted trial of Bevan von Einem that he had killed the trio but there was no evidence.
    Recently police have investigated several leads - that the Beaumont children may be living in New Zealand, a possible confession from several convicts and a family that claims their father was involved .
    And in 2012, on the virtual 46-year anniversary of the case, a US man said he believed he may be Grant Beaumont .
    Police late last year searched a Plympton factory for the children's remains.


    Reward for information leading to conviction: $200,000.00


    Kirste Gordon and Joanne Ratcliffe - 1973


    LAST year marked the 40th anniversary of the disappearance of Kirste Gordon, 4, and Joanne Ratcliffe, 11, from an SANFL match at the Adelaide Oval between North Adelaide and Norwood.
    The girls disappeared on August 25, after they went to the toilet together.
    They were last seen at about 4pm trying to coax two cats from under a car with the help of a mystery man in a hat and jacket, who was later seen leaving the Oval with the two children.
    He was carrying the smaller Kirste under one arm, walking with a "stoop", with Joanne punching him in the back saying, "we want to go back".




    They were never seen again, nor were their bodies found. Drains were searched, the Torrens was drained, doors were knocked but it remains one of South Australia's most enduring mysteries.
    A witness known as Mr B claimed during the 1990 aborted trial of Bevan Spencer von Einem that he had killed the duo but this was never proved.
    In 1998, the then-retiring Assistant Commissioner Rob Lean said the disappearances of the Beaumont children and Joanne and Kirste may be linked and suspected the same person had abducted and murdered them.

    Some days after the anniversary last year, a Prospect man came forward to say he'd seen the girls being loaded into a van at a Prospect boarding home the day they were abducted. He even sketched the girls and the man who he knew as Scotty.
    It is still an active investigation.



    Reward for information leading to conviction: $200,000


    More missing persons and unsolved crimes in the link:
    http://www.news.com.au/national/sout...-1226760040391

  2. #2

    Default Re: Australia's most notorious unsolved crimes and mysteries


  3. #3

    Default Re: Australia's most notorious unsolved crimes and mysteries

    Rewards offered for 18 missing SA children

    The South Australian government is offering rewards of $1 million in each case of 18 children presumed to have been murdered, including the Beaumont siblings who disappeared in 1966.

    The 13 cases involve 18 children who disappeared or were found murdered between 1966 and 2000.

    Last year police made arrests in three historical murder cases, leading them to review their approach and to ask the government to increase rewards substantially.

    Attorney-General John Rau said the reward for nine cases was increased from $200,000 to $1 million, while four cases previously did not have rewards.

    Advertisement
    "The gravity of these offences and the vulnerability of the child victims require the strongest-possible response," he said on Sunday.

    "We owe it to the families of the victims to continue the search for those responsible for these most heinous crimes against children.

    "It can take just one small piece of information that completes the puzzle for investigators or reignites the case against a particular suspect.

    "We are also asking the public for information that might lead to the whereabouts of the remains of the victims of some of these acts."

    Assistant Police Commissioner Paul Dickson said the rewards would hopefully encourage people to come forward with vital information that would bring some peace to the families.

    The rewards are available for information leading to an arrest and conviction and for the first time, rewards will be paid for information leading to the recovering of victim remains.

    The most high-profile case involves the three Beaumont children, who disappeared after visiting Glenelg Beach on Australia Day in 1966.

    THE SA GOVERNMENT IS OFFERING $1 MILLION REWARDS EACH FOR INFORMATION LEADING TO CONVICTIONS IN THE FOLLOWING CASES:

    - Jane, 9, Arnna, 7, and Grant Beaumont, 4, who disappeared from Glenelg Beach on January 26, 1966;

    - Patricia Schmidt, 16, whose body was found off a dirt track at Hallett Cove on December 18, 1971, hours after she was last seen;

    - Joanne Ratcliffe, 11 and Kirste Gordon, 4, who disappeared from Adelaide Oval on August 25, 1973;

    - Marilyn Qualmann, 14, who disappeared From her Moorook home on September 21, 1975;

    - Alan Barnes, 17, whose body was found under the South Para Bridge near Williamstown on June 24, 1979, less than a week after he disappeared;

    - Peter Stogneff, 14, whose remains were found on June 23, 1982, at a Two Wells property, almost 10 months after he disappeared;

    - Michaela Godau, 15, who disappeared from her Elizabeth Field home overnight on December 19-20, 1982;

    - Richard Kelvin, 15, whose body was found near an airstrip at Kersbrook on July 24, 1983, 19 days after he was abducted from North Adelaide;

    - The Pearce family murders - the bodies of Meredith Pearce and her three children Adam, 11, Travis, 9, and Kerry, 2, were found in the ruins of a fire at a Parafield house on January 6, 1991;

    - Juan Morgan, 15, who disappeared some time in 1992;

    - Rhianna Barreau, 12, last seen at her Morphett Vale home on October 7, 1992;

    - Heather Turner, 16, whose body was found on January 31, 1998, partly submerged in a Port Gawler creek, about two weeks after she was last seen;

    - Melissa Brown, aka Trussell, 15, last seen on May 13, 2000, leaving a Blair Athol address with her mother Rosemary Brown, whose body was found at Garden Island on July 2, 2000.

    http://www.theage.com.au/national/re...209-329lz.html

  4. #4

    Default Re: Australia's most notorious unsolved crimes and mysteries

    Beaumont children: New person of interest identified in infamous cold case





    South Australian police say a new person of interest has been identified in one of Australia's most notorious cold cases - the missing Beaumont children.

    On Australia Day, 1966, three Adelaide children, Jane, Arnna and Grant Beaumont – aged nine, seven and four – vanished during a visit to Glenelg Beach.

    As the 50-year anniversary of their disappearance draws near, police today released the official case file to the public for the first time.

    Their disappearance, which sparked one of the largest police investigations in Australian criminal history, remains unsolved to this day.

    Despite the passage of half a century, the investigation is still alive and well, with Crimestoppers operators fielding one call every four days.

    Just weeks ago, one call identified a new person of interest who has never before been linked to the case and has since died.

    "[The information was] credible enough in that we believe we need to investigate it as opposed to file it," Des Bray from the Major Crime Unit told 9NEWS.

    "It's a person who's died and that makes some of our inquiries hard when people are nominated who are already deceased because obviously they're not there to interview.

    "Whether it simply peters out and amounts to nothing like the hundreds that have come before or whether it's a breakthrough, you don't know until you've done the work."

    The Beaumont children disappearance has been credited with changing the way Australian parents supervise their children forever.

    The case even drew international attention, leading to a publicly funded – and ultimately unsuccessful investigation – by Dutch psychic Gerard Croiset. ( http://weird-people.com/psychic-detectives/ )




    Video: http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...ar-anniversary

Similar Threads

  1. Missing Persons & Unsolved Crimes & The Doe's--Part 1 & 2
    By Mja Inc Investigations in forum COLD CASE UPDATES
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-15-2013, 04:18 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-03-2011, 02:34 PM
  3. Unsolved crimes are not forgotten, NH
    By bettybrown1623 in forum COLD CASE NEWS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-03-2009, 09:18 PM
  4. Unsolved Criminal Mysteries of 2007
    By Starless in forum NEWS SPOT
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-01-2008, 12:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •