Several families are waiting to hear whether remains found in a shoe over the weekend by biology students conducting research in a marsh are human.

Rob Joly, the father of Luc Joly-Durocher, said he doesn't believe they are his son's remains.

“We just have to wait to find out for sure. It's tough and it does take a toll on the family's whose loved ones are still missing,” Joly said.

“We are still looking for Luc and will not give up until he is found.”

Luc Joly-Durocher was 20 when he was last seen on the evening of March 4, 2011, at a downtown restaurant and pub.

Video evidence shows him leaving the Main Street establishment. But from there, the details are unclear.

It's presumed he returned to his friend's home on the 600 block of Sherbrooke Street. That is where North Bay police found his jacket and cellphone.

The Joly-Durocher family has issued several public appeals for information on their missing son.

The Aho family is also still looking for answers on the whereabouts of their son Robbie.

Robbie was last seen Oct. 12, 2009 around 1 p.m. leaving Land O'Lakes Cottages in Marten River.

He was seen heading westbound on Highway 64 towards the town of Field.

The discovery of the shoe was made shortly after 4:30 p.m. Saturday by a group of biology students from a university outside of North Bay who were conducting scientific research in a marsh located off Highway 11 South, just outside of the Highway 11 and 17 bypass in North Bay.

According to police while the students were in the marsh, they found a shoe, which they believed contained human remains. They then contacted police to report their findings.

“On Sunday morning, the students returned to the scene to show North Bay Police the location where they found the shoe. The students are no longer in North Bay. They returned home on Sunday.”

North Bay Police Service Deputy Police Chief Shawn Devine wouldn't confirm what university the students were from or any description of the shoe found in the marsh during Monday afternoon's media conference at police headquarters.

He also wouldn't elaborate on the investigation or clarify any details about the remains discovered. Devine confirmed a ground search will also be conducted in the area.

“There will be activity in the area as we continue to work together with our colleagues in this investigation. We ask the media and the public to respect police lines and to not interfere with the work being conducted,” he said.

As of Monday afternoon police and the coroner's office were accessing the swampy site via an off-road All Terrain Vehicle. There is also fluorescent orange tape marking the area where police are concentrating their search.

Devine welcomed questions from the local media during the press conference but reminded reporters police are in the early stages of the investigation and couldn't provide much more information.

He also said confirming whether the remains are human or not could take awhile.

“At this point, the North Bay Police Service cannot confirm whether the bones found were human, or not. Our forensic identification section along with a forensic anthropologist has returned to the area to continue with the search,” he said.

“There is no timeline. These are not fast cases. Sometimes this is very thorough and slow and methodical work.”

Devine said finding what may be human remains can be a traumatic event for some people.

“Because we are sensitive to this fact, the students were offered assistance from Victim Services of Nipissing before they left North Bay. In order to protect them from any further trauma, the North Bay Police will not be releasing their identity or any more information that can lead to the discovery of their identity.”