Thread: Identifying the Dead: Forensic Science and Human Identification

clayface Identifying the Dead: Forensic Science and Human Identification

Identifying the Dead: Forensic Science and Human Identification

Uncover a grave, examine remains and reveal the victimís identity in this free online course, linked to a new Val McDermid story.

The first step in any investigation involving a death is to determine the identity of the deceased. This free online course will take you on a journey through the world of forensic anthropology, unveiling the tools that will allow you to reveal that identity.

Join forensic experts to identify the dead

In the shadow of Dundeeís Law Hill, a grim discovery demands the attention of forensic experts. Unidentified human remains have been found and the police need to identify the victim to move forward with their investigation.

After a meticulous recovery of the remains, it will be your job to:

document and attempt to explain any evidence of trauma;
    identify the victim through biological profiling;
    and undertake a facial reconstruction.
    Experts from the University of Dundeeís award-winning Centre for Anatomy and Human Identification (CAHId) will guide you through the process of human identification.

They will introduce you to the fields of human identification; forensic anthropology and archaeology; craniofacial identification; and the study of the human body.

Evaluate evidence as the case unfolds

Week-by-week, the case will unfold, providing you with more information about the victim. You will be presented with theoretical material and hands-on learning opportunities, to evaluate the case information and use what you have learned, to piece together clues to the victimís identity.

You will be able to discuss, with educators and others learners, your thoughts on the identity of the deceased, based on your evaluation of the evidence.

Get your own copy of the murder mystery

After you submit your evaluation of the victimís identity, all will be revealed at the end of the final week. You can continue your journey into the life and death of our victim in your very own ebook copy of a specially-written murder mystery by international best-selling crime novelist Val McDermid.

Can you use the skills that you will learn on this course to identify the dead?

FREE online course
    Duration: 6 weeks
    4 hours pw
    Certificates available

EDUCATORS

Helen Meadows
    REQUIREMENTS
    No special knowledge or previous experience of studying is required.

This is a free online course for the ones interested, it starts September 7

More here:
    https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/...ying-the-dead/

Default Re: Identifying the Dead: Forensic Science and Human Identification

Trailer:

https://view.vzaar.com/4188357/video

Warning:

Although this course involves the investigation of the death of a fictional character, some of the content may be distressing to individuals, particularly younger learners.

However, this material is representative of that encountered by forensic experts.

The course starts Monday September 7, ten days from now.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/...fying-the-dead

Twitter: https://twitter.com/search?q=%23FLForensicID

Default Re: Identifying the Dead: Forensic Science and Human Identification

I signed up, and finished the first week today. Very interesting course. There was a quiz at the end, and some answers really did look alike (for me), so I didn't get the full score, failed the first question totally
    My biology exam was about 30 years ago, and now I'm learning about all bones again, and their names in english.
    What also was very interesting, is that you were asked to fill in a form from Interpol: report someone missing you know, very hard to do.
    I chose my husband, and it was rather difficult to remember what he wore when he went to work, did he take his coat or not, and I forgot to mention the scar he has on his chin.
    And for the investigation we needed to identify the bone that was found, the bone was also shown in 3D, and it was the ulna, I only couldn't figure out if it was the left or the right.

Don't know if you can still join, it is the first week, part 2 starts on Monday, but if you still can sign up and are interested in forensics, don't hesitate and join.