Thread: REX DOUGLAS, VANISHED 1984

starstar REX DOUGLAS, VANISHED 1984

Identity of John Doe May be Unearthed

http://www.elsberrydemocrat.com/inde...-be-unearthed/

A pastor from Colorado disappears in 1984 after traveling to Missouri to complete a land deal.
    Thirty-one years later, a body is exhumed from a small cemetery in Missouri and DNA testing is initiated on a previously unidentified murder victim.
    This may sound like the beginning of an episode of “Cold Case Files”, but this is the situation that the small town of Elsberry has found itself dealing with since Oct. 14.
    That morning, law enforcement officials closed off the Elsberry City Cemetery to outsiders.
    Numerous official vehicles flooded the cemetery and the presence of the FBI was noted as well.
    Subsequent questioning revealed that an unidentified body buried in the cemetery was being exhumed in connection with a missing person’s case from Colorado.
    Where it all started,
    31 years ago
    The skeletal remains of an individual had been discovered on June 11, 1984 in an outbuilding, described as a pumphouse, on the Flynn Farm off of Hwy. F, approximately five miles east of Hwy. 61.
    The body was laying against the west wall of the well house next to a water tank and the latch/lock was broken on the well house.
    The cause of death was listed as homicide by gunshot wound to the back of the head.
    The victim was buried in the Elsberry City Cemetery under the name “John Doe”.
    New information and technology
    may provide closure
    As sad as it may sound, the victim’s burial looked to be the last chapter in a case that was destined to remain unsolved, at least until Kelly Walters came to the Lincoln County Coroner’s Office.
    When she took office in May of 2014 there were a number of unidentified and missing persons cases that had built up within the county over the years.
    That’s something Walters wanted to change.
    “I had the opportunity to go to Warrenton to [witness] their exhumation of an unidentified [person] at the beginning of the year,” said Walters. “While I was there I met representatives from Doe Network and from Namus [two online organizations that are devoted to assisting with the location and identification of missing persons]. They were interested in talking to me. They knew we had some cases here in Lincoln County and they wanted to get back with me to work on those cases.”
    Walters said that during that subsequent meeting a lot of inaccurate information was corrected on both ends just by comparing one another’s files.
    “After that discussion they moved forward with correcting things on their end,” said Walters.
    That was in May of 2015, and it marks a new twist in the story.
    The email that started it all
    “Within a week or two of things being updated I got an email from a lady,” said Walters. “There are people all across the nation who look at these sites and attempt to match people.”
    The woman stated that she had noticed an update to some of the missing persons information that she had been tracking.
    Some of that information included a change in the possible age range for the “John Doe” who was buried in Elsberry in 1984.
    Based on that change, the woman now believed there was a strong possibility that Elsberry’s “John Doe” could be the missing pastor from Colorado.
    After a number of procedural hurdles had been cleared, the matter made its way to a review board and the decision was made to move forward.
    “My next step was to contact the detective from Colorado,” said Walters.
    That detective turned out to be Steve Ainsworth of the Boulder County Sheriff’s Department in Colorado.
    Ainsworth has been involved in a number of high profile cases in the past, including the 1996 murder of JonBenet Ramsey.
    “I was given the case about 10 or so years ago after it was worked off and on, as one of my responsibilities is cold case homicides and missing persons,” said Ainsworth in an email. “My role in this case, including the exhumation, is to try to locate Rex Douglas [the missing pastor].”
    Walters said that as part of the cooperative effort between herself and Ainsworth the two began sharing some of the scientific information that they had in their files.
    “He had DNA but no dental records and I had dental records but no DNA,” said Walters.
    Fortunately, any unidentified remains stay in the custody of the county coroner.
    Thus, the law allows the coroner to reopen a case if needed and to follow through with more testing at any time he or she deems necessary.
    Walters said she began this process in earnest in June of 2015 and spent a lot of time coordinating things with an anthropologist, the cemetery itself and Carter-Ricks Funeral Homes.
    This empty grave may just prove to have been the 31 year resting place of Rex Douglas, a pastor from Colorado who disappeared while on a business trip in 1984.

Where do things go
    from here?
    Following the exhumation on Oct. 14, the unidentified body was transported to the funeral home where DNA samples from bone, hair and teeth were taken.
    “Some select biological material recovered from the grave in Elsberry will be submitted to the University of North Texas for processing, DNA extraction and DNA sequencing or profiling,” said Ainsworth. “That profile will be compared to that of Rex Douglas. If it matches him, I will be able to notify his wife [she is 89 years old] and my case will be closed.”
    Walters said there is no particular time frame in terms of when the testing will be completed, but she believes that this case has been given a degree of priority status.
    Even if those test results are conclusive, however, the matter will still not be entirely put to rest.
    Who killed Douglas?
    There is still the question as to who killed Douglas and why.
    “Since I don’t have jurisdiction there [Lincoln County, Missouri] I would not be part of any murder investigation,” said Ainsworth. “If it were mine I would absolutely initiate it [a new investigation] because knowing who your victim is is a crucial piece of the puzzle. When you have an unidentified body you really don’t have a pool of suspects. You only know how he ended up. You don’t know where he started, how he came to be there and who he was with. Once you have the beginning and the end, it’s quite straightforward to fill in the middle.”
    Walters said that this case just highlights the importance of sites like Doe Network and Namus.
    “Individuals need to be looking at those websites,” said Walters. “It takes the public looking at those individuals who are missing and unidentified to put any of this together.”

Default Re: Where in the Bleep Did My thread on Rex Douglas go????!!!!!

And I am sort of wondering how it is that a doenetwork member is claiming that there is updated information about Douglas on their site when he has never even been listed on there?? Hmmmmm

Rex Douglas

Name:  img_24099.jpeg
Views: 46
Size:  1.70 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Starless View Post
    And I am sort of wondering how it is that a doenetwork member is claiming that there is updated information about Douglas on their site when he has never even been listed on there?? Hmmmmm

Maybe they meant Namus, which is also named in the article?

"Walters said that as part of the cooperative effort between herself and Ainsworth the two began sharing some of the scientific information that they had in their files.
    “He had DNA but no dental records and I had dental records but no DNA,” said Walters."

I thought things like dna and dentals would be shared in databases, not that one had DNA and the other had dental records

How his story went down is very interesting and mysterious. I hope I can find the stuff I sent for at some point.

Noticed today that Namus has added a lot about his case and found this article

http://www.elsberrydemocrat.com/who-is-rex-lee-douglas/

Rex Lee Douglas, a pastor based out of Boulder County, CO., has been missing since Jan. 30, 1984.
    Born on Dec. 12, 1922, Douglas was approximately 62 years of age at the time of his disappearance.
    He was reported missing by his wife on Feb. 2 after he failed to arrive at Stapleton International Airport in Denver, CO., on a flight from St. Louis.
    He had flown to Missouri on Jan. 25 on a round-trip ticket and had told his wife that he would return on Feb. 2.
    St. Louis Lambert Airport [now Lambert-St. Louis International Airport] is the last place at which Douglas is known to have been.
    An investigation conducted at the time revealed that Douglas placed a suitcase in a locker at Lambert Airport, but never picked up a boarding pass and never boarded the flight to Denver.
    That same investigation also revealed that Douglas had gone to Missouri to conduct a land transaction, which he completed.
    He also made a side-trip to Des Moines, IA., on Jan. 28, 1984 for unknown reasons.
    Douglas reportedly told his wife that he might visit Kansas City, to see the headquarters of the Nazarene Church.
    It is believed that Douglas made this visit by traveling to Des Moines from Kansas City, and then flying back to St. Louis.
    No one at the Nazarene Headquarters, however, reported seeing Douglas there.
    Regardless, an investigation by the Lyons Police Department [Lyons is the town in Boulder County where Douglas was residing at the time of his disappearance.], the FBI and a private investigator hired by the Lyons church indicated that Douglas traveled across Missouri and then did indeed take a short trip to Des Moines on Jan. 28.
    When asked why Douglas had gone to Des Moines, Lyons Police Chief Jill Babcock admitted that she was baffled and admitted that she and her investigators simply didn’t know.
    Credit card receipts for Douglas stopped on Jan. 30, at which time the trail came to an end.
    “There’s nothing new to report,” said Babcock at the time. “But we will continue to work the case. The FBI isn’t actively pursuing it. There are absolutely no leads. Nothing. I just wish there were.”