Thread: Woman With European Ties Found October 2003 in Coconino, County, AZ

Default Woman With European Ties Found October 2003 in Coconino, County, AZ

I did a search and could not find an entry on the forum for this lady.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	2812

Found October 2003, 6 miles west of Williams, Coconino County, Arizona, and 1 mile south of I-40 on Devil Dog Road. Location is roughly 60 miles from the south entrance to Grand Canyon National Park (though the DoeNetwork write up makes it sound like she was found much closer to the Park).

Isotope testing indicates she grew up in Central Europe and was near Paris for the last 10 years prior to her death.

From the NAMUS report https://identifyus.org/en/cases/9967
    ....calcification of the aortic arch was observed, indicating a person 65 years or older and a possible smoker ...

There are 19 exclusions listed under her profile.

From Doenetwork http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/411ufaz.html

Date of Discovery: October 24, 2003
    Location of Discovery: Williams, Coconino County, Arizona
    Estimated Date of Death: 3 days to 2 weeks
    State of Remains: Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction
    Cause of Death: Homicide from blunt force trauma to the head
    Physical Description
    Estimated Age: 55-65 years old
    Race: White
    Height: 5'5", Measured
    Weight: 151 lbs., Measured
    Hair Color: Short gray with some blonde styled in a bob.
    Eye Color: Brown or hazel.

Distinguishing Marks/Features: Her nails were beautifully manicured. Square 1/4" mole above left side of forehead, mole on tip of right shoulder, mole over left collarbone / clavicle, mole on front of right lower leg, and a mole over the middle part of the right ankle. Old scar below right knee, old scar over the back side of the right forearm, and a scar over the back side of the left hand. Suffererd from senile ecchymosis - a condition that looks like bruising - over the back side of the right upper arm. There were no piercings or tattoos.

Identifiers
    Dentals: Available. Extensive dental work worth $20,000 - crowns, bridge work -- in excess of $20,000. Tooth# 14 has porcelain fused to a metal crown, a root canal was performed on tooth #14 sometime after the crown was placed, tooth #15 has a full gold crown, three unit fixed partial denture [bridge] in the back lower right side of mouth, the bridge abuts tooth #28 on the mesial and covers over or replaces tooth #29 and #30 with either tooth #31 or tooth #32 on the distal abutment.

Fingerprints: Available
    DNA: Available
    Clothing & Personal Items
    Clothing: None.
    Jewelry: Unknown
    Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Discovery
    Deer hunters found the body of the victim lying face down in a wooded area off Devil Dog Road about one mile South of Interstate 40 and six miles West of Williams, Arizona. This area is a popular entrance into the Grand Canyon National Park.

The victim died from a single blow to her head and was likely killed someplace other than where her body was discovered.

Autopsy reports indicate she had eaten approximately 1 to 3 hours prior to her murder. She had pneumonia in the right lung and there was some evidence of heart disease.

Results of an isotope test indicates the victim could have spent her formative years in Central Europe, possibly Vienna, Austria, and spent the last decade of her life in Western France, possibly near Paris.

Default Re: Woman With European Ties Found October 2003 in Coconino, County, AZ

It always amazes me that they can have such a good description of someone with very unique characteristics and it seems no one is out there looking for her. Just amazing!

I agree. There is really so much identifying information on her that someone should be able to identify her. Did she have family? What brought her to the US.

Me and my Google map fascination again, but I think she and her murderer were likely traveling east-bound, maybe from Las Vegas (which would fit within the estimated time since she last ate, as well). The off-ramp has a non-typical configuration, so if you're traveling east and take the ramp, the road leads directly into the forest where she was found. If you're west-bound, the ramp leads to the same road, but you have to do some winding around to get to the same location. Why go through that when there's easily accessible areas on that side of the freeway?

-duplicate post deleted-

From the NAMUS report https://identifyus.org/en/cases/9967
    ....calcification of the aortic arch was observed, indicating a person 65 years or older and a possible smoker ...
    The age indication on Namus also says 35-55 years old

Central Europe.

It amazes me even more that the isotope testing not only led them to Austria, but they narrowed it down to Vienna, and not just France, but (near) Paris. In a lot of other John and Jane Doe cases they often only can tell he/she came from the south, east, west, or north which are very large areas in the US. I just wonder how they did figure it out, and can't narrow down the areas in other cases.

Re: Isotope testing

Much like the Elko County Nevada Jane Doe that the isotope testing showed that she had lived in Afton, Wyoming for 6-7 months prior to her death. Afton is a very small (and somewhat inclusive) community and for someone to not recognize her, even in passing is interesting.

http://www.officialcoldcaseinvestiga...highlight=Elko

http://www.officialcoldcaseinvestiga...highlight=Elko
    Last edited by Halikeoke; 03-03-2017 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Added links

That is one of a few exceptions Halikeoke, but you are right.

I wonder if her dental information was sent to Vienna and Paris, 20 thousand dollars on dental work, wow.