MT. VERNON, Ohio (WSYX/WTTE) Columbus Police have made an arrest in a 32-year-old cold case murder after a crack in the case. Detectives said they were finally able to get a match for a fingerprint found at the scene.

Douglas Krumlauf, 63, has been charged with aggravated murder and murder for the death of 24-year-old Sharla Spangler.

Spangler was last seen in January of 1985 at the Gold Fox Club on Johnstown Road in Gahanna where she worked as a dancer.

Her body was found under a trailer near the corner of Hamilton Road and East Dublin Granville Road.
"I was actually the city prosecutor when this happened and I do not remember," said Franklin County Prosecutor Ron O'Brien.

O'Brien said Krumlauf's fingerprints were taken two years ago in another case. Those prints matched ones found on a trailer and roll of duct tape at the scene. He said Spangler had duct tape on her wrists.

O'Brien said Krumlauf was not one of the original suspects.

"He was not connected to the victim until this fingerprint," he said. "Here 32 years later the case is solved because a very good detective decided to be persistent and run that fingerprint through the computer one more time and in this instance he got that hit."

The Columbus Police Cold Case Homicide unit picked up the case two years ago.
"There's a reason these cases are cold and unsolved," said Det. Steven Eppert who took on the case.

Eppert was able to make an arrest in his last case before retiring.
"This was nice to be able to close out a 32-year-old case before I leave," he said.

Krumlauf's attorney Sam Shamansky said his client will plead not guilty. He said it's difficult to remember all those years later how his fingerprints ended up at the scene.

He said he wants to independently verify the prints match.

Krumlauf was charged with murder and aggravated murder. He will be arraigned later this week.

ABC 6/FOX 28 will continue to follow the development of this cold case.

http://abc6onyourside.com/news/local...1985-cold-case