Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 41 to 50 of 50

Thread: Unidentified Female, Located March 9, 1981, Glades County, FL

  1. #41

    Default Re: Unidentified Female, Located March 9, 1981, Glades County, FL

    Doesn't really get cold there, no. I seen some vintage Quoddy ankle boots that were just plain leather which would be ok to wear in warmer climates.

  2. #42

    Default Re: Unidentified Female, Located March 9, 1981, Glades County, FL

    These ones had fleece lining, I somehow think these were really warm boots? I remember the ones in the advertisement, on the right, lowest part of the ad, although not the brandname Quoddy in my country, those were popular for younger girls, and the one top left, for much older women?

    I hope she was reported missing, and does anyone know if they check other countries for a match, like Canada?

  3. #43

    Default Re: Unidentified Female, Located March 9, 1981, Glades County, FL

    Officials hope new technology will help identify body of 'Jane Doe' found in 1981 (article from may 2012)

    GLADES COUNTY -- On March 9, 1981 the body of a female in her late teens to early twenties was found in a roadside ditch on Hwy 721 near Shawnee Farms in Glades County. The death was ruled a homicide by the Medical Examiner's Office. The cause of death was blunt force trauma to the head.

    The victim was never identified and the investigation went cold.

    In 2008 Detective Sergeant Don Salo and the Glades County Victims Advocate Summer Odom reopened the case in attempts to get the victim identified. Unfortunately there wasn't much information regarding the investigation and attempts to get the girl identified back then were unsuccessful. Since reopening the case, Det Sgt. Salo has entered the limited information available along with a composite drawing of the victim were put on the internet using the Doe Network which is a missing and unidentified data base.

    In attempts to help further identify this person, Det. Sgt Salo, with Bret Harding from the Medical Examiner's Office in Fort Myers has obtained a Court Order to exhume the remains of Jane Doe from the Ortona Cemetery to utilize technology that was not available in the early 80's to see if we can get her identified. The femur will be sent to the University of Texas to extract DNA and the skull will be reconstructed by an expert to better depict what the victim looked like. This information will then be distributed to law enforcement data bases as well a public missing person's data bases.

    The victim was a young white female, approximately 5'04" and 125 lbs, with hazel eyes and auburn hair. She had the letter "N" tattooed on top of her right thumb. The victim was also a nail biter. She may have been at Uncle Joe's Fish Camp or Trucadero Bar in Clewiston around the time of her death.

    If anyone has any information regarding JANE DOE, please contact Detective Sergeant Don Salo at the Glades County Sheriff's Office or contact Crime Stoppers.

    If she was a runaway, she may not have had a tatoo on her thumb, but I bet she was a nail biter at a much younger age.

  4. #44

    Default Re: Unidentified Female, Located March 9, 1981, Glades County, FL

    I think investigators check everywhere for a match, especially nowadays with the internet making it a lot easier. I think she's from somewhere cooler.

  5. #45

    Default Re: Unidentified Female, Located March 9, 1981, Glades County, FL

    What about Gloria S Korson? Doenetwork says she went missing March 9, 1981, but this is what I found in another article, and from Pennsylvania to Florida would be about a 17 hour drive?

    Disappearance Remains Mystery After 7 Years

    It was just an hour shy of quitting time when Gloria Korzon told her boss in a shaky voice that she was leaving work early.

    Korzon, a quiet, attractive woman who worked as a wire assembler at Bridgeport Control in Horsham, seemed agitated, saying only that she "just had to leave," her former supervisor recalled in an interview last week.

    Seven years ago today, Korzon disappeared. She left without taking her car, wallet, clothing or even a toothbrush from her home in Warrington Township, Bucks County. Her family, co-workers and friends have not seen her since.

    Korzon, 38, had been working steadily for three years. Each week, she faithfully called her parents in Massachusetts - until March 6, 1981.

    Those familiar with Korzon - including investigators, co-workers and her stepfather - say they now believe she is dead.

    At least one person disagrees: Korzon's ex-husband, William, who after a three-year court battle was granted a divorce last year on grounds of desertion. William Korzon is the only person to claim he has seen Gloria Korzon since March 1981. In an interview in 1986, he said he had talked to her by phone several times since 1981, and in court papers, he said he had seen her as recently as last November.

    "There's no question that Gloria Korzon is missing under the most suspicious of circumstances," Bucks County District Attorney Alan M. Rubenstein said in an interview last week.

    "While it is possible that Mrs. Korzon may have disappeared innocently, it's unlikely given the nature of her background and her ties to the community," Rubenstein said. Others familiar with the case say they have "no doubt" she's dead.

    Rubenstein and other investigators refuse to say whether William Korzon is a murder suspect.

    In 1986, Warrington police obtained a search warrant that allowed them twice to dig up his back yard to look for Gloria Korzon's body, court records show. The warrant indicated that police thought Gloria Korzon and her dog, Max, were buried there.

    Using a backhoe, police found only the dog's remains
    buried about six feet behind the Korzons' modest stone ranch home secluded by evergreens.

    In July and August of 1986 after the backhoes came, William Korzon spoke extensively about the case in interviews with The Inquirer. He talked freely about his life, his wife and her disappearance. He described a turbulent, 20- year marriage filled with allegations that he often beat her and threatened her life.

    Since the divorce, William Korzon, 45, has refused to discuss the matter, saying police are "twisting everything everybody says." He said the divorce proceedings and the investigation not only ruined his yard, but also destroyed his work and his life.

    And his troubles aren't over. The divorce settlement is being contested in Bucks County Court by an attorney for Gloria Korzon's estate who argues that William Korzon lied about the couple's possessions when he testified in previous court hearings. John S. Thome Jr. will ask the court to reopen the divorce case during a hearing set for March 15.

    But William Korzon first must find another attorney to represent him. Last month his attorney, William Goldman Sr., withdrew from the case, citing "a breakdown in (their) attorney-client relationship." William Korzon believes Goldman no longer is sympathetic to his case, court records show.


    Gloria Korzon left a series of notes and court documents stretching back into the late 1970s that tell a story of a stormy marriage and life.

    When she met William Korzon in the early 1960s, Gloria Kidder was working as a bookkeeper at F.W. Sickle in Massachusetts, William Korzon said.

    He loved her reddish-brown hair and her hazel eyes, and said she had "a neat pair of legs," Korzon recalled in the 1986 interviews. They married Jan. 28, 1967, and settled in western Massachusetts - two 24-year-olds who were ''very ambitious and striving to get ahead."

    Within nine months, William Korzon was arrested by Springfield City police and charged with threatening to murder his wife, the 1986 search warrant showed. The disposition of that charge was unavailable.

    Things seemed to quiet down when the couple moved to Warrington in 1970, said William Korzon, a mechanical engineer with a passion for speedboats and bass fishing.

    Then trouble began anew. For at least three years before Gloria Korzon disappeared, the couple fought bitterly. Their fights often drew police to the Warrington home. Gloria Korzon filed - but never followed through on - two court petitions requesting protection in 1978 and 1980.

    The first petition alleged that her husband regularly beat her "until she was bloody," according to the search warrant. Several times in April 1978, the petition alleged, William Korzon "threatened to kill" his wife and her German shepherd, Max.

    In 1978, she wrote that her husband threatened: "You'll be lucky if you're still alive . . . talking . . . breathing . . . walking." She also said: "He has threatened to break my arms and legs, head, back and knock my teeth out."

    In one of the couple's last known fights, Gloria suffered a broken arm on June 15, 1980. During an interview with police at the couple's home, William Korzon "admitted to pushing his wife and breaking her arm," the warrant said.

    When she went to work with her arm in a sling, Gloria Korzon told co-worker Kevin Gardner that she had fallen at a construction site while looking at new houses, Gardner said in an interview last week.

    Recalling the fights in the 1986 interviews, William Korzon said that his wife broke her collarbone after she slipped and fell when he "blocked one of her punches."

    He said his wife often started the fights after she had been drinking alcohol. Once she slashed his shoulder with a broken beer bottle, William Korzon said. He rolled up his sleeve to show a jagged scar.

    Another time, "she came out totally nude and chased me around the back yard with a knife," he said.

    "We haven't had the most pleasant relationship," he said.

    "My name has taken the brunt of this attack. Justice seemed to shut its eyes, turn away and I'm getting beat on," William Korzon said.

    He later launched a letter-writing crusade in the township, urging officials to take action against Police Chief John D. Bonargo Sr.

    "I guess he (Bonargo) wants to close the case out and I'm the most likely

    suspect," Korzon said in the 1986 interviews. "He wants to close it out on my head. . . . I supposedly shot my wife and shot my dog and buried them in a common grave."

    Bonargo declined to talk about William Korzon or the case, nor would other officers with the department comment.

    Goldman, William Korzon's former attorney, said last month that he thought investigators were overreaching when they dug up the yard. "There's no foundation, no basis for their suspicions and allegations," Goldman said in a telephone interview. He declined further comment.

    William Korzon said he and his wife were separated off and on in 1980 and 1981. At a meeting in a bank parking lot in Warrington in 1982, he gave his wife her share of the income tax returns, he said. He said she has called him periodically over the years and he believes she is either in Florida or South Carolina, or somewhere in New England.

    According to court records, William Korzon said Gloria called him last November, saying she wanted her 1968 Jaguar - one of her possessions under dispute in the estate case. He contended that he gave it to her. But he invoked his Fifth Amendment right during a hearing on the matter on Dec. 24 when questions about the car arose. In January, William Korzon spent several hours in Bucks County Prison after being found in civil contempt of court

    because he refused to cooperate in the divorce proceeding. The Jaguar was eventually found at a Bucks County car dealership.

    Gloria Korzon's parents, Raymond and Pearl Kidder, never accepted that their daughter simply disappeared.

    From the day of her disappearance until July 1981, Ray Kidder said he tried to contact his stepdaughter about 40 times. He left messages on an answering machine or talked to William Korzon, who said his wife was "unable to come to the phone." William Korzon promised to relay the messages, but there was still no word from their daughter.

    In July, Ray Kidder shared his worries in a call to Bonargo - telling the police chief of a strange Mother's Day card his wife received, purportedly

    from his stepdaughter. The card was signed by "Gloria Korzon," but the signature did not resemble their daughter's handwriting and Gloria Korzon never signed her last name in correspondence to her parents, according to the search warrant.

    Kidder said Gloria had sent a certified letter to her parents in late February 1978. Before mailing the letter, Gloria warned her father in a phone call not to open it unless "something happened to her."

    The letter, opened months later, described repeated beatings and threats against her life, according to the warrant.

    Raymond Kidder, 71, said in a Philadelphia Daily News story in January that he believes his stepdaughter is dead. In a telephone interview from his home in Chicopee, Mass., on Monday, Kidder said his daughter's disappearance was ''too heart-wrenching" to talk about anymore. His wife, Pearl, died of cancer last July.

    Six days after Gloria Korzon's disappearance, William Korzon went to see her boss, Joseph Weber, and said that his wife was resigning, Weber said.

    "He said she had medical problems and it would be better (for her) to be home with her parents," Weber recalled in a telephone interview last week. ''She was a good worker. We were sorry to lose her."

    Weber said he never learned why Gloria Korzon was so anxious to leave work that day seven years ago. "She was upset about something. She was upset, then she was out the door," Weber said.

    The case is "like something out of an Alfred Hitchcock movie," he said.

    "It just doesn't seem right," said another former supervisor, James Mulherin. "You tend to believe foul play."

    In April 1981 Gloria's mother received a Mother's Day card, ostensibly from Gloria. It was signed not with the familiar "Love, Gloria" but the more formal "Gloria Korzon". And it wasn't in her handwriting. That is when her family contacted the police. When the police chief went to the Korzon residence, Gloria's husband said that she had gone to visit an aunt in Florida. Gloria had an aunt in Florida, but she had not heard from Gloria in months.

    Her height, weight, haircolor and eyecolor could match.
    this site says missing since March 6, 1981. But also: The last time Gloria was seen alive was on Friday, March 9, 1981 as she left her job in Horsham, Montgomery County, just a short 6 miles or so from her home. She has not been seen since.
    On the calendar it shows that March 9 was a Monday, so I guess it was Friday March 6 then.

  6. #46

    Default Re: Unidentified Female, Located March 9, 1981, Glades County, FL

    "Korzon, a mechanical engineer with a passion for speedboats and bass fishing."

    Well, what a coincidence. I searched google for Florida and bass fishing, and what link is the first I got?

    Lake Okeechobee!

  7. #47

    Default Re: Unidentified Female, Located March 9, 1981, Glades County, FL

    I forwarded Gloria Korzon as a potential match for this UID woman to Doenetwork, their panel will take a look at it. I don't see a striking resemblance with the sketch, but she could fit the circumstances and the description.

  8. #48

    Default Re: Unidentified Female, Located March 9, 1981, Glades County, FL

    Could she be Chalice Paul? Her full story and pictures are on this website:

    She went to Florida with her husband after he visited her in Atlanta GA, where she lived in 1981.

    Interesting story, it seems another woman, Colleen Wood, disappeared in 2000, she was with the same man back then.

    ETA She disappeared Summer 1981, no date mentioned, but I guess it can't be her then.

  9. #49

    Default Re: Unidentified Female, Located March 9, 1981, Glades County, FL

    Someone will recognize her some day, relatives, friends, class mates.

    Date of Discovery: March 9, 1981
    Location of Discovery: Moore Haven, Glades County, Florida
    Estimated Date of Death: 1 day prior
    State of Remains: Unknown
    Cause of Death: Blunt force trauma to left side of the head.
    Physical Description

    ** Listed information is approximate
    Estimated Age: 25-45 years old
    Race: White
    Gender: Female
    Height: 5'4" to 5'6"
    Weight: 125 lbs.
    Hair Color: Auburn or reddish brown, 7 7/8" in length.
    Eye Color: Hazel or light brown.
    Distinguishing Marks/Features: Non-professional tattoo of the letter "N" on top of the right thumb. Copper-colored nail polish on toenails, none on fingernails. She was a nail biter.
    Dentals: Not available.
    Fingerprints: Available with GCSO.
    DNA: mtDNA available with UNT (ref #12-1702.1A).
    Clothing & Personal Items

    Clothing: Red tank top, white bra, J.C. Penny blue jeans (size 32x31), dark blue knee high stockings, and dark brown and tanQuoddy fleece-lined ankle boots (size 6).
    Jewelry: Unknown
    Additional Personal Items: Unknown
    Case History

    The victim was located face down in a small canal off of County Road 720 in the rural area of Moore Haven, Florida, at 720 Shawnee Farms 3/4 miles from the Hendry County Line. She may have been at "Uncle Joes Fish Camp" or the "Trucadero Bar" in Clewiston around the time of her death.

    Investigating Agency(s)

    If you have any information about this case please contact;
    Agency Name: Glades County Sheriff's Office
    Agency Contact Person: Detective Sergeant Don Salo
    Agency Phone Number: 863-946-1600 Ext 2112
    Agency Name: District 21 Medical Examiner's Office
    Agency Contact Person: N/A
    Agency Phone Number: 239-277-5020
    Agency Case Number: LE: GCSO08OFF000300; ME: 1981-145
    NCIC Case Number: N/A
    NamUs Case Number: UP #7915

    I edited the last 2 posts, will get back on that.

  10. #50

    Default Re: Unidentified Female, Located March 9, 1981, Glades County, FL

    Eleven months ago I forwarded the woman mentioned in post #48 as a possible match to Namus, they would check if it could be her, her case is unpublished, NamUs MP 23602 they said, and she is still not in the exclusion list. It didn't take that long to exclude Mary Opitz, and Valerie Smith was excluded within several days. Wonder if they really checked, or just said they would.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts