Thread: Unidentified Female, 1979, Arizona

mystery Unidentified Female, 1979, Arizona

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/14ufaz.html

Unidentified White Female
    Little Jane Doe
    • Body located on March 24, 1979 in Tempe, Maricopa County, Arizona.
    • Cause of death is unknown due to skeletal remains. The child's neck was possibly broken as a post-mortem injury.
    • She is believed to have died between 1966 and 1978.
    Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 3 - 5 years old.
    • Approximate Height and Weight: 3'3"
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: Long brown hair, 7 inches in length.
    • Clothing: Her remains were strewn with pieces of decaying fabric. One item appeared to have been an off-white coarse-weaved cotton garment; another piece could have possibly been a dark blue or dark gray loose-weaved blanket.
    • Dentals: Available
    Case History
    Two rock hunters discovered the skeletal remains of this young girl in Tempe, AZ in 1979. She was found partially buried in a shallow grave in the riverbed under the Tempe Bridge.
    Her shallow grave was lined with fragments of old newspapers. It was later revealed that the remenants were from The Arizona Republic, dated "June 6, 1966" and "October 2, 1966."
    The coroner judged that she had been deceased anywhere from 1-13 years. (It has been judged that the child probably died in 1966, but that is not certain).
    The press dubbed the young child Little Jane Doe, a nickname which continues to hold presently.
    Last edited by Starless; 09-07-2008 at 07:24 PM.

Arizona Republic, The (Phoenix, AZ) July 1, 2005

Column: COLD CASE OF THE WEEK
    LITTLE VICTIM STILL WITHOUT AN IDENTITY

Author: Katie Nelson, The Arizona Republic

Article Text:The headline in the May 10, 1997, edition of The Arizona Republic read: "Lost face reappears; expert reconstructs unknown victims." The story began: The cleaning crew considers Charlie Hodges' basement office a chamber of horrors and won't go in. But police consider it their last hope. Human skulls stand about like so many vases in the Maricopa County complex office.

Recently, the skull of a 4-year-old girl arrived from Tempe detectives, who consider Hodges' skills their best hope for giving a name to the little Jane Doe. When and where A little girl's body was found in a shallow grave March 24, 1979. Two rock hunters found her in the then-dry Salt River bottom near a bridge support of what is now known as the Mill Avenue Bridge. Summary Two rock hunters were exploring the river bottom, moving and overturning rocks. During their search, they discovered a human skull. Police were notified and responded to the scene. Detectives uncovered the skeletal remains of a small girl. There was no identification on or near the body, and no missing-persons reports fit. The body was given to a forensic anthropologist at the University of Arizona. The forensic examination suggested that the victim was most likely a Caucasian female.

The anthropologist estimated she had been dead for one to 13 years. It couldn't be longer than that because her grave was lined with pages of The Arizona Republic, dated June and October of 1966. The anthropologist determined the girl was 3 to 5 years old, and from 3 feet 1 inch to 3 feet 5 inches tall. Her hair was brown, cut just about her shoulders, judging from hair found on the skull. There were no signs of trauma, although investigators believe her neck may have been broken after she died. In 1997, former Tempe police Detective Allen Reed solicited a Phoenix police detective to do a facial reconstruction using the girl's skull. He hoped someone might recognize her and be able to tell police who she was. But no substantial leads were a result, so it's still not known if the girl was murdered, died naturally or was killed in an accident.

Investigators suspect one of the latter two, Detective John Thompson said. He is now handling the case. Transients frequented the area where the girl was found, he said. "It is entirely possible that this little girl was part of someone's transient family, and they did not have the means to provide for a traditional burial," he said. Investigator Thompson. What bothers him most "It's always difficult when we can't determine how someone died, but it's even more frustrating when we don't know who the victim was," he said. "If nothing else, this little girl deserves to be identified as someone other than 'Little Jane Doe.' " New technology's role Thompson hopes to submit the skeletal remains to the Arizona Department of Public Safety's lab for DNA testing.
    Last edited by Starless; 09-07-2008 at 07:25 PM.

She actually looks like her. I always wish they wouls do another composite. The ones they did are good, but so different from eachother and they don't look as though they depict a little girl.

I did always find the date of the newspapers found with her interesting. If it had been just one date, this would open up the possibility the person who buried her could be from anywhere, but seeing as he had two papers with such varying dates, leads me to believe he was in the area for a while.

Bumping This Case

TexasKowgirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Starless View Post
    She actually looks like her. I always wish they wouls do another composite. The ones they did are good, but so different from eachother and they don't look as though they depict a little girl.

I did always find the date of the newspapers found with her interesting. If it had been just one date, this would open up the possibility the person who buried her could be from anywhere, but seeing as he had two papers with such varying dates, leads me to believe he was in the area for a while.
    My thought too! The paper is from Phoenix. Wonder where it was circulted back then..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Arizona_Republic

The Arizona Republic is a daily newspaper published in Phoenix, Arizona. Circulated throughout Arizona, it is the state's largest newspaper

TexasKowgirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Me-Chelle View Post
    Kathleen Ann Shea
    Missing since March 18, 1965
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 6 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 3'11; 47 pounds

Kathleen would of been 7 and likely about 4'0-4'3" a year and half later (11/1966 newspaper buried with Doe). The Doe's height is est (3'1-3'5, age 3-5).

Default Re: Unidentified Female, 1979, Arizona

This girl has been identified !!! I din't see it until now. WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!

Identified
    The victim was located March 24, 1979 in Tempe, Maricopa County, Arizona.
    She was identified as Four-year-old Surette Clark in 20010. Investigators used DNA matching techniques not available until recently to identify her. Surette was murdered in November 1970, but the murder went unreported until 1994.