Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1968 Mystery, Missouri, Little blonde girl

glitter14 1968 Mystery, Missouri, Little blonde girl

Post Tribune
    Jefferson City, MO
    Wednesday Afternoon
    February 14, 1968

MYSTERY SURROUNDS LITTLE GIRL'S DEATH

Jack Hamilton decided to go fishing, Thursday, Feb. 1.

Like so many St. Louisans one of his favorite spots was out in St. Charles County in one of several sloughs off the Mississippi River on Missouri Route 67, just across the Clark Bridge from Alton.

Arriving at the spot that day, Hamilton found the ground littered with files of decaying fish thrown up by the ice crusted river.

He figured the fish had all died during a sudden freeze that followed an equally sudden warming period a few days before.

As he turned to leave, Hamilton's eye caught a glimpse of something else in the river.

Sticking halfway out of the water, approximately 15 feet from shore was what appeared to be a large black box tied with ropes.

Strange, he thought, Who would tie a box so carefully and then dump it in the river.

Hamilton grabbed a tree branch and carefully fished the box to shore.

It seemed unusually heavy, he said, and he had some difficulty finally dragging it out of the water.

The box, he discovered, was a cheap, black suitcase, the kind you buy at a dime store. It had two barbells tied to the outside with blue clothesline rope.

Hamilton tore the suitcase open.

Inside he found the partially decomposed body of a blonde child, a little girl. Two more barbells were tied around the body.

Choking back his nausea, Hamilton summoned St. Charles County police officers.

A week later, on Feb. 7, St. Charles Coroner Frang Amalong carried a small casket to a waiting grave in the Oak Grove Cemetery.

A small group of persons stood by, watching as the tiny coffin was lowered into the grave.

The casket was inexpensive purchased with St. Charles pauper burial funds.

Three small containers of flowers were laid alongside the grave.

One was a basket from the sheriff's office.Deputies there had taken up a collection as a farewell gesture to the small, nameless child.

Standing on a cold, bleak, hillside, bracing themselves against the winter wind, those few persons watching stared blankly at the grave and wondered if the little body being lowered inside was really 4-year-old Treasa Mobley.

They couldn't be sure.

Following an autopsy, in which the actual cause of death could not be established, Don Mobley, of St. Louis, asked St. Charles police officers if he could see the body, that it might be his daughter.

Mobley and some other relatives were taken to a St. Charles funeral home where the body was being held for burial.

The following day, Coroner Amalong said Mobley "feels confident as he can, without being absolutely sure, that it's his daughter Treasa."

"We can't accept that really" Amalong said "Until there is proof positive."

Treasa and another daughter had been taken by his estranged wife eight weeks earlier when she disappeared with another man, Mobley told the police.

He hadn't seen them since.

However, he was sure.... almost... that Treasa was the child they buried in the unmarked grave in St. Charles Oak Grove Cemetery.

Almost sure.

Saturday, Feb. 6, St. Charles Emergency Corps Volunteers met at the scene where the suitcase containing the child's body had been found.

They gathered around a fire someone had built earlier out of dry driftwood. The wind stung their faces to a bright pink color.

Someone passed a thermos of coffee.

"Fifteen degrees" one of the men said.

They all wondered how it had happened.

Had the child been alive when she was put in the suitcase? There were no bruise marks, the pathologist who made the autopsy said.

Had the case been dropped off the bridge or did someone just drive back into the slough area and heave it out into the dark, muddy water?

A truk drove up. The men inside got out. Several row boats had already been placed into the slough. The men dragged grappling hooks and poles and went to the water.

They scooped up muddy silt and sifted it all through the morning, not wanting to believe the slough might yield yet another body.

"We want to be sure there isn't someone else in there," Deputy Sheriff Paul Wright told reporters. "This case is puzzling and you can't tell what we'll find," he said.

There was really no substantial evidence, he added quickly, that another body was on the slough bottom "but we want to make sure."

At noon they stopped. They stood glummly around the slough their hands thrust in their pockets. The odor of fish punctuated the chilled air. The men listened to the wind whistle through the withered boards of two nearby fireworks stands thrown together the preceding summer and then abandoned following the 4th of July season.

The sun was bright, but it generated no warmth.

In the summertime, hundreds of fishermen frequent this same spot daily. They drop their baited hooks into this slough and another one on the other side of the Missouri highway.

Their children eat summer picnic lunches on patches of grass around the water. There is much shouting and laughing and children running.

In the summer, as dark approaches, the glint of fireflies and children's penny fireworks sparklers can be seen by passing motorists.

But summer seemed a long time away to the men as they loaded their grappling gear in trucks and drove away from the wooded area, not looking back.

Dusk approached. Nothing living or moving in the area. Nothing except a thin whisp of blue smoke rising from the dying driftwood fire, and an occasional glint of decaying fish scales lit up by the headlights of passing autos on route 63.

The wind whispered through the warped boards of the summer fireworks stand.

And then silence.

And the mystery of a little girl remains unanswered.

Default Re: 1968 Mystery, Missouri, Little blonde girl

I found this article looking for info on Jefferson Barracks Bridge Jane Doe (Feature Case) and have to wonder if that case could be related. I do not know if this girl was ever positively identified. I do not know if the Mobley girls and their mother were ever located. As always, I have to wonder if this could be related in any way to the Sharon Marshall case. Or the Elizabeth "Betsy" Ann Gill case. Or any number of cases in that time perios. We know where she is buried. Can anyone find info on that ??

Daily Capital News
    Jefferson County, Missouri
    Saturday, Feb. 3, 1968

CHILD'S IDENTITY REMAINS UNKNOWN

St. Charles, MO (AP) The Sheriff's office of St. Charles County said Friday it was without a clue in it's effort to identify the body of a two-year-old blonde-haired girl who was found in a suitcase Thursday in a fishing lake near West Alton, MO.

A St. Louis man who said his wife and child left home about eight weeks ago looked at the girl's body Thursday but said it was not his daughter.

Lt. Robert Baker of the sheriff's office said deterioration of the girl's feet made it impossible for him to take a footprint for identification purposes.

An autopsy has failed to determine the cause of the girl's death. Lt. Baker said there are no visible signs of violence on the body.

A fisherman found the body in a trunk in three feet of water near U.S. 67 and the south end of the Clark Bridge, which crosses the Mississippi river to Alton. The suitcase had been tied with clothesline with two 10-pound barbells inside and two more fastened to the outside.

The unidentifieds in this cemetery are not listed on findagrave. Neither is Treasa Mobley.

Chillicothe Constitution-Tribune
    Thursday, February 1, 1968

GIRL'S BODY FOUND IN SUITCASE'
    West Alton, MO (AP) The body of a girl estimated to be about two-years-old was found today in a weighted suitcase cast into a slough in West Alton.

The suitcase was found about 50 yards off U.S. 67 near the south end of the Lewis and Clark Bridge over the Mississippi river.

The suitcase was bound with rope, and weighted with barbells, used for exercising.

The suitcase was found by Jack Hamilton of St. Louis, a fisherman.

Hamilton said he fished the suitcase out of the water with a tree branch, opened it and found the body.

Exactly, and they said there was another daughter with the mom. How old was she ?

We did find some Treasa Mobleys in different states, but with no ages on the listings, so no way to tell if it's her or not.
    Last edited by Starless; 04-30-2009 at 03:57 PM.

Ok, I called the cemetery early this morning and they returned my call just now. She is in plot 10A at the cemetery in the "baby section" in the potter's section. She is at least in unidentified status at the cemetery, so.... I guess draw from that what you will.

Still waiting on something else as well.....

You girls with kids here, help me out, isn't the difference between a two year old girl and a four year old girl pretty big ? I'm not sure. Having babysat a million kids when I was younger, is not the same as having your own, which I do not. I just am not real sure on kid size ranges, so help me out.

The coroner estimated her to be approx. 2 years old. I think Treasa may be alive and well, as far as I know thus far. It doesn't make much sense either for a mother to leave with 2 daughters and dispose of one of them in this way, for seemingly no reason, so....

Texaskowgirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Starless View Post
    You girls with kids here, help me out, isn't the difference between a two year old girl and a four year old girl pretty big ? I'm not sure. Having babysat a million kids when I was younger, is not the same as having your own, which I do not. I just am not real sure on kid size ranges, so help me out.

The coroner estimated her to be approx. 2 years old. I think Treasa may be alive and well, as far as I know thus far. It doesn't make much sense either for a mother to leave with 2 daughters and dispose of one of them in this way, for seemingly no reason, so....
    Well, bunches of factors, but looks like if you go with an "average" (50% percentile group), about 6 inches in height.. Other factors, such as circumferance of skull, race, dentals, bones (thinking like first year the suture in skull cap closes, etc..)...

My way out theory was maybe the woman's body with the same PMI is the mother and her daughters are also victims (maybe other wasn't found?)... Maybe a domestic situation. Wish they would of said her mother's name...
    Last edited by Texaskowgirl; 04-30-2009 at 10:27 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast